Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

The Pickup Place Your forum for discussion of Gretsch (and other) Pickups.

Notices

Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gretschie

Default Pole adjustments

There are a lot of tips regarding adjusting the mini humbuckers but I've never heard of people adjusting filtertrons, megatrons etc.

Anybody adjust theirs and Why or why not?

Scottishblue13 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Country Gent

i thought there was some scematic going around how to put them

my hs filtertrons came pre-adjusted, or they weren't screwd in properly and i think that's how it should be
eather way, it sounds good
Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gretschie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampe

my hs filtertrons came pre-adjusted, or they weren't screwd in properly and i think that's how it should be
Yeah that's how mine came too.
I'm not unhappy with my filters or megatrons but just curious if anyone played about and had opinions about adjusting them
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampe View Post

I think this is the graphic of which you speak.
This may be meant for TV Jones, but I'm sure it would be helpful for Filters in general.

Tara (as well as others) posted this a while back. TARA, where are ya, girl?

Name:  height.gif
Views: 2250
Size:  14.9 KB

"Dogs know everything. Maybe not math, but thatís okay."
- Older Russian woman walking her dog that I met while walking with Bridget.
Crooner is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Country Gent

Not to sound like the grumpy bastard I am but... IMO that diagram is far too generic with the variety in TV/filter pickups, and is certainly not accounting for personal taste or style. You might as well eye it, which can get you surprisingly close.

Most of my pickups are a dimes width lower on the bass-side, also I like to follow the radius of the fretboard with the polepieces, with the Es being level with the PU bobbins flatwork(I'm not looking for twang). Try to adjust your pickups by ear, if just for ****s and giggles.

Good Sellers
Ricochet is online now Online   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 10:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Look here:

http://tvjones.19.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=346

Polepiece adjustment directions from the man himself (wish this could be a sticky).

And as far as I'm concerned, TV Jones are the definitive Filtertron pickups, period.

Last edited by dilver; June 24th, 2012 at 05:29 AM.
dilver is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I recently went through a number of transactions with TV Jones and they suggested just leaving the screws alone and adjusting only the height of the pickup itself. Seems to work great for me.

God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural... fluids.

Music is like a fifth of fine Scotch. It is much more enjoyable once the fifth has diminished.
Synchro
Synchro is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gretschie

The strings used can have a big impact on how the pole pieces should be adjusted for equal volume (which is what you'd adjust them for). For example, a plain third string is much louder than a wound one, therefore its pole piece should likely be adjusted to be further from the string. Fourth strings are very often lowest in volume, so their pole piece is raised the highest. Once you "tune in" to hearing it, you can easily hear a half-turn difference or less. If you're concerned about losing your original settings, just keep track of and jot down the amount of rotation you give each pole piece! As are all pickup adjustments, this is best done by ear, and the difference can be significant, especially with FilterTron-types (tedious but worth the effort IMO). Headphones are great for this procedure, but not necessary - just play loud enough to completely overcome the guitar's acoustic sound but not much louder as your hearing sensitivity decreases the louder you play.

Adjusting the pickup's overall height will affect the tonal balance and dynamic response: as a rule, closer to the strings = brighter/edgier/less "body" sound and the inverse is true. Most guitars/string sets like the bass side slightly lower than the treble side, especially the neck pickup. I've found that this adjustment is best done while playing through whatever amp you use the most at moderate volume; the speakers can affect the tonal balance a lot.

Last edited by mike fried; June 25th, 2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: clarity, added information
mike fried is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Send a message via Skype™ to 6stings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottishblue13 View Post
There are a lot of tips regarding adjusting the mini humbuckers but I've never heard of people adjusting filtertrons, megatrons etc.
Anybody adjust theirs and Why or why not?
You ment Magna'Trones, they have non-adjustable magnet poles, adjusted and fixed by TV Jones.
If you want to see how he adjusted them, I can take a picture.
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gretschie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike fried
The strings used can have a big impact on how the pole pieces should be adjusted for equal volume (which is what you'd adjust them for). For example, a plain third string is much louder than a wound one, therefore its pole piece should likely be adjusted to be further from the string. Fourth strings are very often lowest in volume, so their pole piece is raised the highest. Once you "tune in" to hearing it, you can easily hear a half-turn difference or less. If you're concerned about losing your original settings, just keep track of and jot down the amount of rotation you give each pole piece! As are all pickup adjustments, this is best done by ear, and the difference can be significant, especially with FilterTron-types (tedious but worth the effort IMO). Headphones are great for this procedure, but not necessary - just play loud enough to completely overcome the guitar's acoustic sound but not much louder as your hearing sensitivity decreases the louder you play.

Adjusting the pickup's overall height will affect the tonal balance and dynamic response: as a rule, closer to the strings = brighter/edgier/less "body" sound and the inverse is true. Most guitars/string sets like the bass side slightly lower than the treble side, especially the neck pickup. I've found that this adjustment is best done while playing through whatever amp you use the most at moderate volume; the speakers can affect the tonal balance a lot.
Interesting, thanks!
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Gretschie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stings

You ment Magna'Trones, they have non-adjustable magnet poles, adjusted and fixed by TV Jones.
If you want to see how he adjusted them, I can take a picture.
No I ment megatrons as on my corvette.
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Send a message via Skype™ to 6stings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottishblue13 View Post
No I ment megatrons as on my corvette.
Ah, Corvette's Mega' Filters! Sorry.
Old June 25th, 2012, 03:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro View Post
I recently went through a number of transactions with TV Jones and they suggested just leaving the screws alone and adjusting only the height of the pickup itself. Seems to work great for me.
+1 !
works well for TV's and HS filters too...
j.s.c is offline Offline   Reply With Quote