Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Pedal Pushers Forum Effects, pedals, processors and other boxes that go beep and boop.

Notices

Old April 4th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Country Gent

Default What is your favorite overdrive/distortion pedal?

I am always looking for a great overdrive. I have owned a bunch over the years. Nothing real high end but all your major brands... Boss, DOD,MXR etc...

Again all good pedals, but none that really spoke to me.

I am asking the question so I could get some user reviews from you guys,

I really like what Iíve heard from the Catalinbread SFT

larryb is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

I really dig my FullTone Full Drive ll Mosfet. It gets a huge array of tones. I also love my Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive. It's essentially like a Tube Screamer but has a bland knob that allows you to dial in the clean tone to taste.

That being said, I'm always seeing great demos on PGS for OD pedals that sound great. The new Boss BC-2 sounds very nice.

I'd also be lying if I said that one day I'll have to get one of the Tube Screamer Hand Wired pedals.

"Dogs know everything. Maybe not math, but thatís okay."
- Older Russian woman walking her dog that I met while walking with Bridget.
Crooner is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooner View Post
I really dig my FullTone Full Drive ll Mosfet. It gets a huge array of tones. I also love my Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive. It's essentially like a Tube Screamer but has a bland knob that allows you to dial in the clean tone to taste.

That being said, I'm always seeing great demos on PGS for OD pedals that sound great. The new Boss BC-2 sounds very nice.

I'd also be lying if I said that one day I'll have to get one of the Tube Screamer Hand Wired pedals.
I agree crooner, those are both good pedals. Alot of it depends on what you want to sound like.
Sponsored posting

Old April 4th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gretschie

There's so many to choose from.
Here's my Favourite three as of late.
1.CMAT- Ratified (this has one of the original Rat chip in it.)
2.Mesa Boogie-flux drive like a ocd with better eq and more bottom end.
3.Mesa Boogie-Throttle Box (sound like a duel rectifier) Give your Gretsch that Tim Armstrong sound.

These Mesa pedals are so amp like. Worth checking out.

Last edited by bubblyah; April 5th, 2013 at 09:41 AM.
bubblyah is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Well a Pigtronix Philosophers Tone - Germanium Gold ltd. is really more of a compressor but its the only "distortion" effect I use.
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblyah View Post
There's so many to choose from.
Here's my Favourite three as of late.
1.CMAT- Ratified (this has one of the original Rat chip in it.)
2.Mesa Boogie-flux drive( like a 808 with full bottom end) like a ocd with better eq.
3.Mesa Boogie-Throttle Box (sound like a duel rectifier) Give your Gretsch that Tim Armstrong sound.

These Mesa pedals are so amp like. Worth checking out.
AM interested in trying those out. As I have mentioned in other threads, when I play(really) low volume gigs, I use both Boss Fender Deluxe and Fender Bassman modeling pedals. DOn't really need 'em so much when I can get my amp above 3-3.5 but they allow me a number of different sounds which is helpful when playing in a 50's-60's cover band. While I operate in the clean to modestly broken up end of things, (hardly real overdrive territory), when I am running things combined with my Atomic Brain, there is still PLENTY of play left at the overdrive end of things.

mj
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

I use my Tim pedal every weekend on stage but I have an atomic brain in front and for the last 10 yrs its been my barber burn unit that I stomp on for medium gain crunch but now I like the Tim pedal pushing the Ubangi stomp. ..so I guess I'm in love with my TIM pedal most of all. Wish I'd come up with that thing, its rules.
TV the Wired Turtle is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

For my Fender amps, I love my Joyo Sweet Baby, a cheap clone of the Mad Professor Sweet Honey. It's a low gain OD, and has a sweetness to the tone. It's a cheap pedal, but o e of my all time favourites.

My Marshall amp loves my Timmy pedal.

I also use a Creepy Fingers Doomidrive when I want to darken things up, and push the bass on my amp.

Finnaly, I like the OCD for louder stuff. I have never gotten on with Tube Screamers.

All if these sound a damn site better with a Billy Brain in the mix. I love that angry little pedal.

Marlin

The love of money is the root of all evil.....damn, I could use some really rather naughty right now.....
The Marlin is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Country Gent

Blackstar HT Dual is the only one that's stayed. It's a valve thing, o/d and distortion sides on footswitches plus clean mode on finger pushbutton, so you can use it's 3x tone controls and a sweep thing on all three modes. Keeps the guitar response and none of that coldness. Does just-breaking-up through AC-DC to compressed fuzz.
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Synchromatic

When I last counted up, I had owned/made/prototyped more than 130 drive pedals. Probably nearer to 200 now. It's a lonely, grubby hobby.

Pretty much, I liked them all. Nearly all dirtboxes are finely nuanced version of stuff that's gone before, and people generally talk bollocks about their preferences in order to justify the investment they've made. Eek!

The SFT is very very nice. My son uses one, and enjoys it to the point at which he probably talks bollocks about it. All Catalinbread pedals are nice, and the chap that runs the company is funny and gracious and deserving of your money. But, if I was buying, I'd always check out Joyo first because they're no worse than anybody else and a whole bunch cheaper.

Early morning rant over.
markeebee is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 02:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Ooh, no, more rant.

BTW, I don't mean to denigrate anybody's choices. They're all great. If you find a pedal that really works for you, that's lovely.

But I kinda sigh and roll my eyes and drop my shoulders when people argue that their pedal is the best and you are Satan because you like Big Muffs. There are many topics more deserving of block capitals.

And, anyway, you are Satan if you play a banjo.
markeebee is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Electromatic

i like to rely on my amp for overdrive/crunch. i have the ac15c1 and have the normal channel set up for a clean sound and the top boos channel with more crunch. the amp is super dynamic and it reacts very well to my playing style. so dig deep and you crunch, play softly and you have some nice cleans.
when needing more overdrive i boost my sound with a DOD 250. i have a maxon tubescreamer which is fine but not ideal for my current sound.
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Country Gent

Nuff said..

'' facebook.com/jaycemade ''
jaycemumford is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

You have to know whether you want a clear, transparent overdrive (Timmy), or higher gain, or medium gain (Marshally sounding, etc). The SFT looks like it can cop low and med gain tones pretty nice.
Staggerlee is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Gretschie

I've been playing around and am really liking the sound I get when pumping my Octavio through my Wampler Hot Wired v2.
1999 G6120SSU - Brian Setzer Signature Nashville ::: 2008 G6131SMYR - Malcolm Young Signature ::: 2012 G6129T-1957 - Silver Jet 1957 ::: 2012 G6129TAU - Sparkle Jet ::: 2013 G7593T-BD - Billy Duffy Signature White Falcon
jneau is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Synchromatic

I have a BYOC OD2 that I like. Based on the TS808 circuit and switchable between stock TS808, more output and distortion, or less for cleaner sound. Also has a MOSFET clean boost, 3 way EQ switch and true bypass. I can dial in a vast array of overdrive tones. Although I've pretty much got the sound I like and leave it there. Great pedal.
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Gretschie

I really like the Skreddy Screwdriver for OD sounds, the MI Audio Tube Zone for modern distortion and Lovepedal Pro Valve for vintage distortion.
HBob is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeebee View Post
Ooh, no, more rant.

BTW, I don't mean to denigrate anybody's choices. They're all great. If you find a pedal that really works for you, that's lovely.

But I kinda sigh and roll my eyes and drop my shoulders when people argue that their pedal is the best and you are Satan because you like Big Muffs. There are many topics more deserving of block capitals.

I have a banjo, and on occasion play it. Does that make me an occasional satan? Are there any benefits with this title?
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
Country Gent

1. Joyo Sweet Baby - its cheap but sounds wonderful.
2. Joyo Ultimate Drive
nadles is online now Online   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeebee View Post
Ooh, no, more rant.

I dont talk $#% about my favorite overdrive pedal, rather I praise its creativity and functionality and how it makes me enjoy my guitar rig a bit more..thats the TIM pedal.

So I think this is a great topic, and I must be satan because I play a gretsch dixie 6 through a silverface fender deluxe with a celestion alnico gold.
TV the Wired Turtle is offline Offline   Reply With Quote