Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Pedal Pushers Forum Effects, pedals, processors and other boxes that go beep and boop.

Notices

Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Country Gent

Default Carbon Copy VS Boss DM-3

How does the MXR CC compare with the DM-3?

Pro's and cons for both?

Dan C is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gretschie

I have a dm-3 that I really like....I haven't used a carbon copy...the boss dm-3 has a a shorter delay time but sounds great w/ all my guitars and into a few different amps....if you can find a dm-3 for less than 200$....get it.I lucked out and got mine for 150$
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111023_132028.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	17084  
whtfalcon777 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gretschie

The Carbon Copy is one of those LOVE or HATE pedals I have found. Personally, I dig mine and use it alot! I have found that if it is not plugged in, the battery only lasts one or two sessions.
For slap back or sonic delay (like Pink Floyd) is fantastic!
dinomium is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Country Gent

I own a Carbon Copy and love it but seeing all the praise that the Boss DM-3 Has been getting i just wanted to know how it compared!
Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Country Gent

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-...AdIdZ313507535
Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Ouaso View Post
Thanks for the link, but I'm in the UK
Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan C View Post
Thanks for the link, but I'm in the UK
UK and Canada both share the same queen

email that vendor for a better price shipped to UK via Canada Post
Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Country Gent

Okay, so a slight derail but,

Which of the two would you rather own?
Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

there is absolutely no comparing these two analog echo devices.. better comparison would be the Aquapuss.. why because the BOSS DM-3 has vintage Panasonic bucket brigade chips and a very well made compander circuit, so the delay has an incredible amount of clean headroom that was not there on the earlier DM-2 (which just happened because they ran out of the original chips and had to move over to a newer BBD chip and adjust for its slightly longer delay).. its buffered output also brings a slight bit of lower mids clarity. If it were for sale in todays market it would cost $300
like the Maxon AD-9pro

The carbon copy is a solid analog delay but its a budget box through and through and uses current chinese BBD chip offerings.
The EH "DELUXE" memory boy (not to be confused with the 1st gen Memory boy) also uses the chinese BBD analog chips BUT is built better and while its audio path both dry and wet are analog, its time domain is controlled digitally. it is a great analog delay for a few bucks more.
TV the Wired Turtle is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV the Wired Turtle View Post
there is absolutely no comparing these two analog echo devices.. better comparison would be the Aquapuss.. why because the BOSS DM-3 has vintage Panasonic bucket brigade chips and a very well made compander circuit, so the delay has an incredible amount of clean headroom that was not there on the earlier DM-2 (which just happened because they ran out of the original chips and had to move over to a newer BBD chip and adjust for its slightly longer delay).. its buffered output also brings a slight bit of lower mids clarity. If it were for sale in todays market it would cost $300
like the Maxon AD-9pro

The carbon copy is a solid analog delay but its a budget box through and through and uses current chinese BBD chip offerings.
The EH "DELUXE" memory boy (not to be confused with the 1st gen Memory boy) also uses the chinese BBD analog chips BUT is built better and while its audio path both dry and wet are analog, its time domain is controlled digitally. it is a great analog delay for a few bucks more.
Ermm... now I'm even more confused!

Sorry to ask another question, quite a difficult one I know... but how would you rank every delay that you just mentioned?
Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

it'd be kind of a waste of time because then you'd have to categorize vintage vs new vs mass manufactured econo vs boutique

okay I'll do it anyway (as it pertains to solid state pedals used for "Echo" slash "slapback" regarding roots rock that are using analog BBD chip)

1. Boss DM-3
2. Boss DM-2
2. Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy
3. Way Huge Aqua Puss
4.Carbon Copy
10. EH Memory Boy
Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV the Wired Turtle View Post
it'd be kind of a waste of time because then you'd have to categorize vintage vs new vs mass manufactured econo vs boutique

okay I'll do it anyway (as it pertains to solid state pedals used for "Echo" slash "slapback" regarding roots rock that are using analog BBD chip)

1. Boss DM-3
2. Boss DM-2
2. Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy
3. Way Huge Aqua Puss
4.Carbon Copy
10. EH Memory Boy
Right, This clears it up (completely disregarding that you do sort of have to categorize them) BUT, THANK YOU

I love, how it went from 4 to 10 Haha
Old October 28th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Send a message via Skype™ to MatchlessMan
Default Both!

I use both the DM3 and the CC on my pedalboard. The DM3 I just use for slapback, whereas the CC handles longer delays. I love both of them, but if I could only take 1 to a gig it would be the CC because of the delay time range and the smokey quality of the repeats. I don't really care if the CC is 'budget' because it sounds so fine.

If you want to get a toe in the analog waters, try the Behringer VD400, which (like the CC) uses modern BBD chips. Plastic box = v. cheap to buy, almost to the point of being disposable!

My personal ranking would be different to Tavo's. I could not get on with the Aqua Puss [MkII] so I recently sold it, and I found the Deluxe Memory Boy rather too dark when I tried it at a guitar shop.

I suggest you buy both pedals off eBay used - you can then sell on the one you don't want, without losing too much $£€¥ in the process.

Going back to an earlier question, I would rather own the DM3 for its cool retro vibe!

Last edited by MatchlessMan; October 28th, 2011 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Further thoughts
MatchlessMan is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

ya the aquapuss is just a redo of the the earlier Boss DM-2 which is very smeared.

Regarding the current EHX offering of the Deluxe Memory Boy.. that delay is one of the brighter analog delay pedals out there and uses the exact same chinese analog delay chips as the current offerings.

They must have had something hodge podge for you to try at that store mate. I wouldnt defend it but as a long time collector of EH DMM delay pedals since the 80s, this Deluxe Memory Boy (not to be confused with the crappy "memory boy") is almost clinical in many settings. I've had a few of them since I'm sort of a dealer(mostly buy parts from their newsensor.com dept ) and recorded with it in the studio.

its the delay i used on this tune

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...312DEC4MHY6WNA
Old October 28th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Send a message via Skype™ to MatchlessMan

The other thing I didn't care for on the DMB was the fact that the mix range all sits in the first half of the dial - after that, you are turning the dry signal down.

I would certainly give it another go in another shop though.
Old October 28th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatchlessMan View Post
The other thing I didn't care for on the DMB was the fact that the mix range all sits in the first half of the dial - after that, you are turning the dry signal down.

I would certainly give it another go in another shop though.
yes that is a factor,the controls are too limited on the DMB for sure but with the atomic brain punching through it was a
good mix.