Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

THE Gretsch Discussion Forum The forum for all things Gretsch -- new, old, or in between.

Notices

Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Electromatic

Default Best amp for Country Gentleman?

What is your opinions on the best amp for a Gretsch 6122-62 Country Gentleman and why? Amp will be for home, and jam/practice use mostly.

Country_Gentleman27 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gretschie

I have a Fender DRRI for my 6122-1962 gigs. I also have a Fender Frontman 25R that I practice with and play at home that I really like.
jbcallender is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Hi C_G27, welcome to the forum! What kind of music do you like, and what is your favorite guitarist sound? These will help people to make amp recommendations for you.
Sponsored posting

Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Electromatic

I always use effects in front of my amp, and my favorite guitarist is "The Edge."
Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

G'day CG27!! welcome to the forum!!!
fender62custom is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

I found that both my 'Gent and my 'Belle like bigger amps; Gretsch Executive and Fender bandmaster. Currently I use a Fender Excelsior a lot and that does a surprisingly good job.
Michiel is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Gentleman27 View Post
I always use effects in front of my amp, and my favorite guitarist is "The Edge."
If you're into the Edge, then I think a Vox is in your future. I'll also second the idea for a DRRI. If you want the Vox sound, you can always add a Tech 21 Character Series Liverpool or Boss BC-2 to your pedal board. Both will give you a startlingly good Vox sound.

"Dogs know everything. Maybe not math, but that’s okay."
- Older Russian woman walking her dog that I met while walking with Bridget.
Crooner is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gretschie

I use a peavey delta blues for home use, jamming, and gigging. Turn it up loud and use the master volume on the guitar fir control. I also have a classic 30 which is a great amp but needs fixed right now.
molliethemongrel is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Electromatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooner View Post
If you're into the Edge, then I think a Vox is in your future. I'll also second the idea for a DRRI. If you want the Vox sound, you can always add a Tech 21 Character Series Liverpool or Boss BC-2 to your pedal board. Both will give you a startlingly good Vox sound.
Could I use an AC30 for home use or is that too much? The DRRI sounds good as well. Thanks for the advice.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

The Peavey Classic is very nice, as is the Delta Blues. If you/re looking for that tone, a great amp to look out for is a Kustom Coupe 36 or 72. They're designed by the same guy, James Brown, but with some added cool features, and excellent build quality.

The Kustom Coupe can be had for a good price on the used market. My Coupe 36 was £1000 new, i picked it up used (in mint condition with cover) for £200. It sounds awesome. Gorgeous clean-to-high-gain tones, beautiful highly tweakable reverb (has an Accutronics reverb tank). Nice a tweedy, and the master volume means you can get a bit of breakup and lower volumes. I put top quality tubes in it to get the best out of it, and a Cannabis Rex in it to smooth the tone out a little. if you can find one at a good price, you won't regret it.

See here: http://www.guitarworld.com/kustom-am...2-coupe-combos

In truth, you can expect to get 100 different answers to this question. There are so many great amps out there, at all prices.

Are you gigging, or just playing at home?
What's your budget?
Are you after a new amp with a warranty, or looking for a good used amp deal?
Valve, or solid state. Modelling?
Do you play uber clean, a little dirty, dirty, or wrock!

Once we know what you're looking for, we can narrow down the search for you.

Good luck

Marlin

“As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists.”
The Marlin is online now Online   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Marlin View Post
They're designed by the same guy, James Brown........
He designed all my dance moves as well.
markeebee is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Country Gent

It's a Gretsch, plug it into a Vox and job done.

Easy, who's got the next question?
dazzajl is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Electromatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Marlin View Post
The Peavey Classic is very nice, as is the Delta Blues. If you/re looking for that tone, a great amp to look out for is a Kustom Coupe 36 or 72. They're designed by the same guy, James Brown, but with some added cool features, and excellent build quality.

The Kustom Coupe can be had for a good price on the used market. My Coupe 36 was £1000 new, i picked it up used (in mint condition with cover) for £200. It sounds awesome. Gorgeous clean-to-high-gain tones, beautiful highly tweakable reverb (has an Accutronics reverb tank). Nice a tweedy, and the master volume means you can get a bit of breakup and lower volumes. I put top quality tubes in it to get the best out of it, and a Cannabis Rex in it to smooth the tone out a little. if you can find one at a good price, you won't regret it.

See here: http://www.guitarworld.com/kustom-am...2-coupe-combos

In truth, you can expect to get 100 different answers to this question. There are so many great amps out there, at all prices.

What's your budget?
Do you play uber clean, a little dirty, dirty, or wrock!

Once we know what you're looking for, we can narrow down the search for you.

Good luck

Marlin
Hi Mrlin. Thanks for the advice. I checked out the custom 36, its a cool looking amp, but it may be too much amp for what I do.
I play at home, and sometimes practice with a very loud drummer.
What's your budget?
My budget would be about 1000 USD.
I definitely want to but the mp new, although I intend on modding it with NOS Tubes.
Definitely want a tube amp. I prefer alnico speakers as well.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Gentleman27 View Post
I play at home, and sometimes practice with a very loud drummer.
Twin Reverb or AC30. I can't think of anything else I'd want to use with a loud drummer... maybe a Marshall stack or two???
beep.click is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Ac15 would do it, as would Maz18, 65DRRI, or a 20 watt Marshall. Also good master volume amps, like the Kustom Coupe, or Peavey Classic.

30 watts with no master volume is pushing it for that situation. I love AC30's, but every one I have used has been insanely loud. My HR Deluxe is a gigging amp. I wouldn't use it to practise, it would melt the drummer. I can only use it at home with an attenuator, and even then it's desperately loud. It sounds amazing, but loud.

I've seen a superb rockabilly/swing band play a gig to 600 people with a Peavey Classic 30 and Purple Setzer HotRod. The tone blew my socks off. As a result of that gig, I sold all my guitars and amps, and bought my first Gretsch (Black Phoenix).

So, you don't need a massive amp. Bigger amps sound their best when they're pushed and hot. It's difficult to get anywhere near that volume in a urban environment.

I used to gig, I haven't for a while, but will again before too long.

Good luck

Marlin

“As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists.”
The Marlin is online now Online   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 01:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Synchromatic

I have a 1964 AC30 which is the finest sounding amp I own. However, perhaps the most surprising thing was when I plugged in a 1959 6120 and other guitars with filtertrons, as I expect your Gent has, it was somewhat dark sounding--ie, the amp preferred single coil pick up guitars to humbuckers.

My Fender amps, by contrast, seem happy with anything.

Now, I know George Harrison used a CG through a Vox no probs and also I have no idea what modern Vox anythings sound like, so maybe it's not an issue.

Also I think the AC30 is too massive of an amp. I am seriously considering selling mine since it's just too much to haul around, even though I love it so.

The greatest amp to me is the Fender blackface Vibroluxe, but if your budget is more limited then a Deluxe.

Speaking of the Edge, I used my 66 Princeton at the beginning of this promo clip--year that's a Strat though--I was faking my way through the intro of "Bad".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRn-5qRkUjA
knavel is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #17 (permalink)
Gretschie

It seems to me that two amps would do you nicely. A low power amp (5 watt max) for at home and something bigger with some muscle for keeping up with the drums. I think you could get both and still stay in your budget. Most amps that will go loud enough to keep up with a trap set loose their tone at very low volume, even with pre/master volume designs. A Country Gentleman used in an Edge style. Interesting combo. Rock on.
TwangJunky is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Electromatic

Welcome C_G27! Pardon the bad pun, but I'll "chime" in here. If you like the Edge, then yes a VOX is likely what you're looking for. The AC30 is pretty darn loud, but a wonderful amp. Even the AC15 (which I have personally - AC15C1) is a loud 15 watts, but useable at home. I think it can get loud enough for you to keep pace with your drummer too. Still, I'd give the AC30 a try. If $1000 is your budget, either will fit it, unless you go for one of the handwired versions.

I like Twangjunky's idea. In fact, I do that personally. I have a 4W AC4BRG for home practice and an AC15 when I need some volume.

I also like Crooner's idea of a DRRI with a pedal. That might offer little more versatility, but still get close to that Vox tone.
PDXVox is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knavel View Post
I have a 1964 AC30 which is the finest sounding amp I own. However, perhaps the most surprising thing was when I plugged in a 1959 6120 and other guitars with filtertrons, as I expect your Gent has, it was somewhat dark sounding--ie, the amp preferred single coil pick up guitars to humbuckers.
My '64 AC30 is a Treble model and I still found it necessary to de-treblize it and convert it to Top Boost to get the chime I want with Gretsch guitars. And I did this when I was mainly using a '53 Duo Jet, but would have done it anyway now that I'm using a Gent with Filters. If yours is non-TB, then I can see how it isn't the best match for humbuckers, even relatively bright ones like FilterTrons. But pretty much every modern iteration of the AC30 includes Top Boost.
afire is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by afire View Post
My '64 AC30 is a Treble model and I still found it necessary to de-treblize it and convert it to Top Boost to get the chime I want with Gretsch guitars. And I did this when I was mainly using a '53 Duo Jet, but would have done it anyway now that I'm using a Gent with Filters. If yours is non-TB, then I can see how it isn't the best match for humbuckers, even relatively bright ones like FilterTrons. But pretty much every modern iteration of the AC30 includes Top Boost.
Mine is a "Treble" one as well. I toyed with putting in the TB and got advice against it (see link below). Here's mine--as it was till last month. One of the blue speakers got dented and the cone ripped up during shipping which depresses me to tears. I love it to death with a telecaster or a rickenbacker and really want to gig with it since I never have. But if I bring it here I won't ever be able to get it out of Europe should I finally determine to sell it.

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/vi...p?f=2&t=103883
knavel is offline Offline   Reply With Quote