Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

THE Gretsch Discussion Forum The forum for all things Gretsch -- new, old, or in between.

Notices

Old April 24th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Default Sound post vs. Trestle sound. What 6118's have posts?

1. Has anyone compared a similarly spec'd guitar with trestle and sound post bracing? If so, did you find a significant difference in tone?

2. Do any recent 6118's have sound post bracing? If so, how can you identify them?

polishbroadcast is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Country Gent

I've never A-B'ed them directly, but I don't think the tone is hugely different. That being said, the only 6120 I ever liked enough to buy turned out to have the trestle bracing.

BUT, I also have other Gretsches that I like every bit as much, and they do NOT have trestle bracing. So delicious tone does not require trestle bracing...
beep.click is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beep.click View Post
I've never A-B'ed them directly, but I don't think the tone is hugely different. That being said, the only 6120 I ever liked enough to buy turned out to have the trestle bracing.

BUT, I also have other Gretsches that I like every bit as much, and they do NOT have trestle bracing. So delicious tone does not require trestle bracing...
Thanks very much. I have a lead on a 6118 but was hung up about the trestles. I mainly don't like the weight they add but i can live with that if they don't affect the sound much.
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

There is plenty of difference.. Especially for those of us that play at stage volume through 212 cabs.
Trestle bracing means a much brighter guitar and more sustain. the deep growl familiar to those of us with tonepost models is attenuated on the trestle braced guitars. I just sold off a post FMIC 6118 that still had the tone post yet had the floating fuji fretboard.. I believe it was a transitional as the top was still very thick. Most all the newer trestle braced guitars I've owned have very thin tops which gives a good acoustic quality that is somewhat subdued in the tonepost guitars. I prefer tonepost gretsch guitars.

trestles

TV the Wired Turtle is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Country Gent

If you play at high volume through your amp, you'll appreciate the positive effects of trestle bracing. Perhaps the sound-post achieves the same end... can't say for sure. Tavo... you're quick on the draw tonight!
Wayne Gretschzky is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Country Gent

Of course, if you go with the 125th Anniversary Jag-Tan 6118, you'll have the best of both worlds with the special ML "half-trestle" bracing!
tartanphantom is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Synchromatic

@TV:
Do you mean you prefer trestle? I'm most interested in woody / acoustic sounds i've found in a few hollow body guitars I've had. The guitar I may buy is long distance so I'll live with what I get. I believe it is transitional like yours since it is '04 but has a sound post.

@wayne:
Agreed. I don't play out at the moment so it will mostly be for recording / practice.

@tartan:
I love the smoke green too much. Apart from the sparkle lime it is the best Gretsch color in production... Unless you are buying, in which case tan is my favorite color ever!

Thanks for the feedback. Any other comments are appreciated.
Old April 25th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gretschie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartanphantom View Post
Of course, if you go with the 125th Anniversary Jag-Tan 6118, you'll have the best of both worlds with the special ML "half-trestle" bracing!
Just what I have, and yes it works perfectly !
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/6092424-post1037.html
Colonel Blues is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blues View Post
Just what I have, and yes it works perfectly !
I agree, Colonel-- I got the 125th Anni last year, and it is probably the most versatile Gretsch I have ever owned (I have 6 Gretsch electrics). The ability to control and call up feedback at will is amazing with this guitar. And the Powertrons really find their niche when coupled with the ML bracing, the pinned bridge, and the ebony fretboard.
tartanphantom is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishbroadcast View Post
@TV:
Do you mean you prefer trestle? I'm most interested in woody / acoustic sounds i've found in a few hollow body guitars I've had. The guitar I may buy is long distance so I'll live with what I get. I believe it is transitional like yours since it is '04 but has a sound post.

Thanks for the feedback. Any other comments are appreciated.
I do NOT prefer trestle bracing, it is an evil thing. In the same breath if you
can get an '05 Fuji factory built Annie you will get the same alive tone quality as the reverend horton heat model that has a very thin 3 ply maple top, floating fretboard(all the way back to the binding) and tone post.
I had one ...sniffle I preferred it over my Rev horton because it didnt have the freakin lacquer that chips if you look at the guitar sideways.
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV the Wired Turtle View Post
can get an '05 Fuji factory built Annie you will get the same alive tone quality as the reverend horton heat model that has a very thin 3 ply maple top, floating fretboard(all the way back to the binding)
gotcha. I got confused because you were talking about playing with one on stage and having just sold a 6118 w/ a sound post. The one I am looking at is a 2004 so it seems like all the stuff I want: sound post, no FB binding, and ebony FB. Why did you sell yours?
Old April 25th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
gotcha. I got confused because you were talking about playing with one on stage and having just sold a 6118 w/ a sound post. The one I am looking at is a 2004 so it seems like all the stuff I want: sound post, no FB binding, and ebony FB. Why did you sell yours?
I've had about 5 annies.. just be sure though that this guitar IS the post FMIC model and hopefully from Fugi not terada if you want the most acoustically resonant version like I mentioned above. It responds in a very alive way as the body top is free to vibrate much more without the fretboard
sittin on it along with the tonepost and thin top. I doubt an o4' is gonna be that one.
Old April 25th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Quote:
I've had about 5 annies.. just be sure though that this guitar IS the post FMIC model and hopefully from Fugi not terada if you want the most acoustically resonant version like I mentioned above. It responds in a very alive way as the body top is free to vibrate much more without the fretboard
sittin on it along with the tonepost and thin top. I doubt an o4' is gonna be that one.
Serial is JT so it's Terada. I liked the quality of the 6040 from Terada that i had but i'll have to be OK with wherever its resonance is. I would love a Fuji one eventually though. And a Silver Falcon. And a Grey Country Club. and...
Old April 25th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
The guitar I may buy is long distance so I'll live with what I get.
I really don't think you have anything to worry about, either way. My take on Gretsches (and guitars in general) is, once you find one you bond with -- the construction details just don't matter.

I will say, my trestle-braced 6120 did not feed back in live performance, playing with a drummer who is not bashful. But then, my other Gretsches don't feed back, either (except the Rally, which is constantly on the verge).
beep.click is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by beep.click View Post
I really don't think you have anything to worry about, either way. My take on Gretsches (and guitars in general) is, once you find one you bond with -- the construction details just don't matter.
Thanks for keeping it positive. You're right of course. I had looked at a more recent 6118 a year ago and thought it was heavy for a hollowbody and was turned off. Then today i went to GC to see if Filtertrons were really what i wanted and i loved every Gretsch i touched: Silver Falcon, Lime Setzer (though pickups were a little bright for me), Grey Country Club, Black Falcon... all stunners. What a difference a year makes.

Ultimately i'll be happy with what i get but it was interesting to hear about the tradeoffs and sound differences in each construction types, especially the transitional models (top thickness, floating FB extension, etc).
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

the hotrod is a 1/4" thinner in depth with trestles so it is a much brighter sounding instrument regardless of stock filters or tvjones.
Old July 21st, 2012, 06:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Gretschie

Help me here, so what is this saying, that new Annies are Trestle Braced?
JRS11 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 08:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

No, right now, you can but an Annie with any of the three types of bracing (at least two types.

I think that we need to identify what it is you're looking for, what properties you want from the bracing. Do you perform live at volume, or are you more of a parlour guitarist. Are you looking for a brighter tone?

Marlin

The love of money is the root of all evil.....damn, I could use some really rather naughty right now.....
The Marlin is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Gretschie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Marlin View Post
No, right now, you can but an Annie with any of the three types of bracing (at least two types.

I think that we need to identify what it is you're looking for, what properties you want from the bracing. Do you perform live at volume, or are you more of a parlour guitarist. Are you looking for a brighter tone?

Marlin
I play for myself and I am not looking for a brighter tone, warm but true, clear not muddled, does that make sense?
JRS11 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Electromatic

Quote:
can get an '05 Fuji factory built Annie you will get the same alive tone quality as the reverend horton heat model that has a very thin 3 ply maple top, floating fretboard(all the way back to the binding) and tone post.
I had one ...sniffle I preferred it over my Rev horton because it didnt have the freakin lacquer that chips if you look at the guitar sideways.
TV: I found this old thread while reading another one (great feature of this forum btw) and it was interesting to read that 05 Fuji-made Annies seem to be a bit special, because mine is built by FujiGen Gakki in December 2005 (according to the serial number) and has floating fretboard and tone post just as described.

1. Do you say that these have thinner tops like RHH?
2. Do you mean that these Annies have thinner tops than other Annies?

I am very interesting to learn about my guitar, so please enlighten me.
Carl Bigsby is offline Offline   Reply With Quote