Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

THE Gretsch Discussion Forum The forum for all things Gretsch -- new, old, or in between.

Notices

Old April 11th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Default Help with Gretsch Duane Eddy model ?

I need some help with this one. Came across an unusual Gretsch Duane Eddy guitar.. When did these come into existance ? This is the first I've seen with this finish. So what's the story ?

MitchC is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Synchromatic

I may be wrong but .....

think the Duane Eddy is a new model to the Gretsch line up ?
NickGretsch is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Gretschie

I think the Duane sig model came out in April 2011 and replaced the 6120DSV. Do you have the serial number for it?
damacleod is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 12th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Gretschie

http://www.the-jime.dk/Rockabilly_Guitar.htm

Hi, if you scroll about half way down the above page you'll see a 1998 eddy 6120.
This could be the one .
Analogsynthman is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Pre FMIC Duane Eddy signature model before he went to the dark side for a little while its a 6120DE and was the Ebony Burst finished version of the Duane Eddy signature model, along with the more common orange 6120DEO
MacStevenXIII is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Apart from the cosmetics you'll notice that this older pre-FMIC G6120DE has a space control bridge and the new one has a tru-arc one. The bracing will be all different as well.

The only guitar that sounds like a Gretsch is another Gretsch
Anni_Lover is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Synchromatic

"Came across"?? As in you bought it, saw it, or Googled it? The ebony burst is gorgeous.
DaddyDog is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anni_Lover View Post
Apart from the cosmetics you'll notice that this older pre-FMIC G6120DE has a space control bridge and the new one has a tru-arc one. The bracing will be all different as well.
Yep, the new sig model has trestles
MacStevenXIII is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Synchromatic

"Came across...." I have WTB ads in several forums. Was contacted by a member offering this for sale.
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

It's pretty similar to a DSV, possibly even identical. Given the choice I'd definitely go with the new one but that's not to say the older model isn't a good guitar.

God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural... fluids.

Music is like a fifth of fine Scotch. It is much more enjoyable once the fifth has diminished.
Synchro
Synchro is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Nothing against orange, but I like this finish on a gretsch. Okay, I do have something against orange, but thats just me.
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyfingers View Post
Nothing against orange, but I like this finish on a gretsch. Okay, I do have something against orange, but thats just me.
Just because your childhood pet weasel was run over by an orange juice truck.

God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural... fluids.

Music is like a fifth of fine Scotch. It is much more enjoyable once the fifth has diminished.
Synchro
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Can get the older version for about $1100 less than the new version. So are there $1100 worth of improvements in the newest offering ? Nitro finish, trestle bracing, Tru-Arc standard... what else ?

Also, how are the pots / switchs on the pre FMIC guitars ? Will I need a TV Harness with the CTS stuff or are the electronics OK in the older model ?

I'm definately wanting the new ORANGE one (will fit right in with the rest of the orange family).. BUT for $1100 less ... the Ebony burst might be just fine.

OH... and the Ebony Burst has an EBONY fretboard compared to Rosewood on the new models. I MUCH prefer Ebony

So... OLD vs NEW ? What to do ?
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchC View Post
Can get the older version for about $1100 less than the new version. So are there $1100 worth of improvements in the newest offering ? Nitro finish, trestle bracing, Tru-Arc standard... what else ?

Also, how are the pots / switchs on the pre FMIC guitars ? Will I need a TV Harness with the CTS stuff or are the electronics OK in the older model ?

I'm definately wanting the new ORANGE one (will fit right in with the rest of the orange family).. BUT for $1100 less ... the Ebony burst might be just fine.

OH... and the Ebony Burst has an EBONY fretboard compared to Rosewood on the new models. I MUCH prefer Ebony

So... OLD vs NEW ? What to do ?
The biggest difference is the trestle bracing on the new model. Next would be the electricals, if it's pre FMIC you definitely want better pots, switch and jack. The bridge on the older one is not to my liking, too many pieces. I can only speak for myself and I suspect that if I bought the older one it would only be a speed bump on the path to the newer one.

Synchro
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Synchromatic

The one I'm looking at has a Compton Brass bridge installed. A new TV harness is like $90...so for $1600 I get all but Nitro and Trestle ... is it worth $1100 extra for that and ORANGE... plus I'm REALLY not a fan of Rosewood necks. Was looking at the Falcon LDS cuz I could get the ebony board AND the dynasonics.

This pre FMIC DE might just do the trick ?
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchC View Post
The one I'm looking at has a Compton Brass bridge installed. A new TV harness is like $90...so for $1600 I get all but Nitro and Trestle ... is it worth $1100 extra for that and ORANGE... plus I'm REALLY not a fan of Rosewood necks. Was looking at the Falcon LDS cuz I could get the ebony board AND the dynasonics.

This pre FMIC DE might just do the trick ?
I certainly don't think it's a bad choice. Where that's concerned, I would look before spending the money for a TV Jones harness, it may already have the good stuff. I wouldn't want to steer you away from a good deal but, OTOH, I wouldn't be much of an enabler if I didn't remind you of all the advantages of the more expensive choices.

All kidding aside, of the three the TLDS would be my firat choice. It's hard to beat a 17" body.

Synchro
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro View Post
Mu parents told me I would get in trouble playing monkey in the middle with the weasel as the ball. I didnt believe them, and here we are today.

I just never got into the orange as mush as the other colors, hence the blue hotrod. If they only made a very select few, i would appreciate it more, but it seems like they made a 10,000 gallon batch of orange years ago, and they are still trying to get rid of it.
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro View Post
Mu parents told me I would get in trouble playing monkey in the middle with the weasel as the ball. I didnt believe them, and here we are today.

I just never got into the orange as mush as the other colors, hence the blue hotrod. If they only made a very select few, i would appreciate it more, but it seems like they made a 10,000 gallon batch of orange years ago, and they are still trying to get rid of it.
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:

Quote:

You're starting to repeat yourself Freddie.

Synchro
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

I need to go practice my scales.....