Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

THE Gretsch Discussion Forum The forum for all things Gretsch -- new, old, or in between.

Notices

Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default pre fender what does that mean

Hi Folks
I have just joined this forum after I found myself to be the owner of a Pre Fender G6120 orange Gretsch guitar. Now my dilema. Do I keep it as an investment?. Do I sell it?, if so where and for how much?. But the biggest question. Pre Fender what does that all mean and how old is my guitar?. is a Fender Gretsch better?. I look forward to hearing some sound advice
Darren

darren is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Country Gent

As far as INVESTMENTS go, I'dsay a pre Fender Gretsch isn't going to fetch you more money. Unless it's a vintage guitar.

Pics and serial numbers are pretty much all we need to determine that one.

In general, Gretsch had a lot of problems when the company was bought back from Baldwin by Fred Gretsch III and problems continued until Fender was accepted as being in charge of Marketing and Distribution. The first things they did was upgrade the wiring and fix the shapes of the bodies. Also, they went to great lengths to make sure that some models were as close to the originals as possible.

For instance, Brian Setzer's '59 had a CAT scan done on it to see what the bracing looked like. This then turned into the updated SSLVO (and othe Setzer guitars).

As for selling it, do you like it? Do you enjoy playing it? Does it have sentimental value to you? Are you looking to get rid of it?

Again, post pics and the serial number and we'll be able to advise on that too.

Rants. Reviews. Interviews.
Pappy is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Country Gent

Keep it. Most of the pre-Fender Gretsches I've got my hands on have far less issues than FMIC models. And, if you're looking for a player, what does it matter? Trust me - it's still a Gretsch. Maybe more so.
Sponsored posting

Old February 2nd, 2009, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Country Gent

Oh Yes, I'm the Great Prefender...
gigatron is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have examples of both and I am equally pleased. My 6120N is not based directly upon any vintage Gretsch so the fact that the body shape is slightly off (and the control set is inappropriate for a Filtertron guitar) deosn't really bother me, it's just part of the charm.

My three FMIC era Gretsches are all well made and beautiful reproductions of their vintage ancestors.

God willing, we will prevail, in peace and freedom from fear, and in true health, through the purity and essence of our natural... fluids.

Music is like a fifth of fine Scotch. It is much more enjoyable once the fifth has diminished.
Synchro
Synchro is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Uh oh. What have I got to look forward to Guitarfarm? Curious how many issues you've had and what they were. These guitars are still fairly new to me. About 4 months, 6 months and 1 week, respectively.

The '07 5120, one of the bridge TV Jones pup mounting screw holes opened up a bit, and it's bridge base contour needs worked a little with some sandpaper. The tuning machines are a little sloppy, but they look pretty cool. Few rough frets.

The '05 6122-62 has a few rough frets and with the neck mount, lower fret acces isn't ideal, but that was a given when I bought it.

The '06 6196 (brand new from old stock 1 week ago today) needs a bit of a truss rod tweek to add relief, but not much. Thinking maybe a set of 12 flatwounds from these 11's just might add enough. And the knurled thumbscrews above the saddlekeepers on this SyncroSonic bridge are still a bit of a nuisance, but I continue to adapt. (Now my favorite guitar, and there's a hand ful of other decent ones laying around).

But other than those slightly picky issues, these three here are extremely fine and without flaw.
dafreeze is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatron View Post
Oh Yes, I'm the Great Prefender...
WHO SEZ Sloveniaks don't have a sense of humor?

I got pre-Fenders and FMIC, and they're both great.

Madry Polak po szkodzie !
Jeff O is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 03:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Country Gent

Sloveniak humor is based on two situations, one involving Bosnians, ingestion of copious amounts of plum brandy, and the accidental (ha ha) death of a neighbor's cow, the other involving a Croatian and a chicken.

We don't joke about Austrians, they're funny enough already.

I have two post-Fenders and like them just fine.
gigatron is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff O View Post
WHO SEZ Sloveniaks don't have a sense of humor?

I got pre-Fenders and FMIC, and they're both great.
Haven't you dumped FMIC Gretches because they had issues? I thought that you had.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Country Gent

Dafreeze, the issues that I've seen on FMIC Gretsches have mostly been on guitars that were still in stores. Nearly pulled the trigger on a beautiful green Club last year until I realized that it would be fine as long as I didn't want to play between the fifth and ninth frets. Thinking that this might be a bit of an inconvenience, I passed. Very nearly bought an '05 6120TM, but it had fret dressing problems and something weird was happening with the Bigsby. I could have probably fixed both but, for the money, I didn't think I should have had to. Maybe this isn't a Gretsch issue at all. Perhaps the retailers should be taking more time to properly set these instruments up? But, I can tell you this - when you pick up a $1,600 guitar and an entire section of the fretboard buzzes like your sister's vibrator, there's a good chance that you won't be pulling your wallet out of your pocket. Nearly all the issues I've seen lately on new Gretsches have been finish related or fret related. Of course, I might just be more anal retentive than most when it comes to such things. I was, after all, potty trained at gun point.

I also have one of each. A pre-Fender 6120SSU with no issues whatsoever. O.K., it did have a switch go bad and they do have a reputation for dodgy electronics. But, I fixed that myself in an hour and have been happy ever since. I also have an FMIC 6136 Black Falcon. Lovely guitar. No surface blems or binding issues that I can spot. Great player too - from April through November. However, as soon as the winter sets in, it frets out when I bend the strings. Haven't taken the time to figure this one out yet. Clearly, something is moving with the change of seasons. But no worries. Spring time will roll around again soon and it will once again get played. Maybe, when I have the time, I will look into what is causing this. Could be just a truss rod tweak. Bottom line here - and this is what I tell everyone about every guitar, regardless of the brand - check them out thoroughly in the store before you buy. Guilds have lemons, Gibsons have lemons, and Gretsches have lemons. Comes with the territory. Your mileage may vary.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Thank's Bud. Mine aren't uncommon then, and minor. Like I suggested, no finish flaws. Haven't found any fret issues on the CC. Will have someone dress up both the 5120 and 6122, unless I conclude I can do it myself.

(I've got a twenty here that say's you sniffed it)
Old February 3rd, 2009, 08:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Send a message via AIM to EdgeOfQuarrel

i was curiously considering a pre fender setzer hot rod till i read on the gretsch site that they rebuilt the hot rods.I was assuming somethng was different like maybe no trastle bracing or something I dunno it was cheap.Couldn't find any information about it anywhere though
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Country Gent

Yup, no trestle bracing.

Rants. Reviews. Interviews.
Pappy is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Default pre fender gretsch...and then some

Hi Folks
Thanks for the welcome and the advice so far. What does FMIC mean. I will be posting some pics in the next couple of weeks. There is no sentimental attachment to this guitar so I would be willing to part with it. As I am saving for a house right now I would be willing to part with the rest of my collection to. These are. Eric Clapton Signature Fender (black) tbx boost with a signed pick guard from a concert at the Albert Hall 2007. 50th Anniversary fender delux with gold fittings, and a special edition Gibson 345 BB King Lucille but its a limited edition 74 of 150 made. It has an autographed certificate and special pick guard (made for the guitar centre) for his birthday. if anyone would like to see photos I will be happy to post them also. Im just not sure of the value of this collection.
darren is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Country Gent

FMIC = Fender Musical Instruments Corporation.

Fender went through a period not long ago where they started buying up all the competition. They killed some companies outright and just phased out models of other brands (you can only buy acoustic Guilds now). I believe the president of Fender is a Harvard MBA. I believe the same is also true of Gibson. This is what they teach them. Stretch the profit margins, even if it affects quality, and make the most money you can. While I am all for making money (heck, I like money), I believe a company does best when management is passionate about the product while keeping an eye on the bottom line. This way, a nice balance between quality and cost is achieved.
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Geez Bud, I'm getting the impression you've got a bit of a bad taste in your mouth regarding FMIC and the Gretsch's they've overseen.

I don't know all the details or the politics behind them but I've got 4 Fenders and 3 Gretsch's made between '05 and '08, and they're all very fine. The playability, build and sound quality of all are simply superb. They really are.

I've contacted Fender 3 times (simple questions) via their website and was replied to w/in 24 hours each time.

They did mess up an order of nicknacks I placed several months ago, but told me to keep the extra keychain, belt buckle and T-shirt they'd sent as a gift and token of the sincerity of their apology for the delay (~$50 worth, and they didn't just toss it in. I'd ordered the exact items plus several other things. Ended up double shipping).

Like I described earlier, the only issues I've had with any of the 4 guitars and 3 amps has a been a little desired fretwork on 2 of the guitars. Not uncommon. When I replied earlier in this thread I implied more concern for the durability of my instruments than I have, as I was hoping to get you to share your issues without giving the impression that you were being called to task.

And to top it off, (and I only tell this story again because Jeff get's such a kick out of it), I had Gretsch's marketing manager phone both my home and office to answer a few questions I'd written him via a PM on this here site.

Plus, they keep me stocked up with free strings and vacuum tubes for all 9 of my guitars and 3 amps as long as I keep defending and writing good stuff about them.

Last edited by dafreeze; February 5th, 2009 at 08:20 AM.