Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

THE Gretsch Discussion Forum The forum for all things Gretsch -- new, old, or in between.

Notices

Old February 6th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gretschie

Default My new G3155 Streamliner

Brought her home last night. Had to clean up the years of grime and corrosion on her and lost a little gold color on the Bigsby but thats alright.
Not a ding or scratch on the guitar except some very light surface scratching on the back from rubbing against a shirt or two.
Great neck and she sounds WONDERFUL plugged in
I am very mixed up about the pickups after searching here and on the net, maybe if I can get the pics to show up someone can tell me exactly what I have, they say DeArmond on the back side. Are these 2k's or 2000's?
Thanks,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pupqpr.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	11920  Click image for larger version

Name:	gretsch1-qpr.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	11921  Click image for larger version

Name:	gretsch2-qpr.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	11922  Click image for larger version

Name:	gretsch3-qpr.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	11923  Click image for larger version

Name:	gretsch4-qpr.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	11924  

Darkbeer is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Hey, congrats! I had a chance on one of those a couple years ago and passed. I'm always sorry I did when I see one.

Beauty!
Jack Knife is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gretschie

What a beauty!
I've got the same pickups on my 3155 but also don't know the difference between 2K or 2000. All I know is they are DeArmonds and they sound great!
checugs is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 6th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gretschie

Mmmm Mmmm! She sure is a beauty! Congrats!

Way Cool Junior
ToneJunkie is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Country Gent

Beautiful, congratulations!
S Macp is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Synchromatic

They should be DeArmond 2000 pickups.

The 2K pickups are very P90-ish in tone, and I believe construction as well, except they have the metal case and look like a Dynasonic on the surface.

The 2000s were made to sound like Dynasonics, but were much less complicated to manufacture.

The 2000s went on Gretsch guitars. The 2Ks went on DeArmond guitars and other makes and models but NOT Gretsch guitars.

Amps: Gretsch G5222. Epi Valve Jr.
Big Burly is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Burly View Post
They should be DeArmond 2000 pickups.

The 2K pickups are very P90-ish in tone, and I believe construction as well, except they have the metal case and look like a Dynasonic on the surface.

The 2000s were made to sound like Dynasonics, but were much less complicated to manufacture.

The 2000s went on Gretsch guitars. The 2Ks went on DeArmond guitars and other makes and models but NOT Gretsch guitars.
Thanks for clearing that up. I've never understood the difference and most people use them interchangeably.

Beautiful guitar. One of the Historic Series that should been continued.
(Actually most guitars of that series were very good.)
drmilktruck is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Nice Catch,

It's really pretty amazing the body of knowledge that is lurking around this forum.

Big Ron

http://www.animatedgif.net/musicsound/notes1_e0.gif
Big Ron is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gretschie

Thanks folks, I have been enjoying playing this today. It's amazing how well this is made. Feels like a very new and hi-end guitar.
Tim
Old February 6th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
Thanks folks, I have been enjoying playing this today. It's amazing how well this is made. Feels like a very new and hi-end guitar.
Tim
It was a higher end guitar, I think selling for $1500 or so new.
drmilktruck is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Very nice find there. Love the color. I have a G3151, (no Bigsby) & it's a great axe.

Yep, Big Burly nailed it. Here's the poop from the Rockabilly guitar page;

Pickups for Rockabilly Guitar
Go to menu (top)
"Gretsch" pickups:
...or more accurately: "pickups commonly associated with Gretsch guitars".

Picture of the "real DeArmond"
- An original Gretsch DynaSonic
on a 1955 Gretsch 6120 G-brand
All the DeArmonds described
here look pretty much like this.
"DeArmond 200" (A.K.A. Gretsch DynaSonic) (single coil)
The original DynaSonics used on the electric vintage Gretsches from 1949 to 1957 were made by Rowe Industries in Toledo, Ohio and designed by Harry DeArmond. They are often referred to as Rowe-DeArmond 200s and I've also seen them called Dynasonic Model 2000.
The Gretsch DynaSonics of today are exact copies of the vintage ones, and are built in Japan to Gretsh's specs. (Gretsch and Duane Eddy says they were made from the same moulds as his original 1957 6120 Chet Atkins model).
They originally came with a black cover on Gretsch guitars (and others), and in white on Guild, Premier, and Levin guitars. An example of a guitar equipped with white cover DeArmond 200s would be a sixties Guild Duane Eddy.
The Gretsch DynaSonics of today only come with black covers.
Though many people favour the FilterTrons I must say that in my opinion the DynaSonics are THE original Gretsch Rockabilly sound.
Where to buy a DynaSonic pick-up:
1. From Gretsch through one of their dealers. They're $160 a piece sugg. retail in their US price list (Download in PDF).
2. From Seymour Duncan's Custom shop where they offer the so-called Duncan Dyno-Sonic at $225.
3. From eBay.
DynaSonic pickup adjustment tip:
When looking for more output some players adjust the poles too close to the strings, resulting in string pull, and out of tune guitars. There's a better way to do it as a luthier showed me when I had him adjust my '55 Gretsch G-Brand:
Raise the entire pickup! It's as simple as that and sounds amazing.
Put some padding underneath the pickup or cut out a new and thicker pickup ring in wood or plastic. There's no alteration of the guitar or any drilling involved so you can use this solution on expensive vintage guitars also.
- this is actually a general tip for pickups and not just for DynaSonics!
"DeArmond 2000" (single coil)
Made to sound like the DynaSonic but in a more compact packaging. Most importantly the polepieces are much shorter (something you can't see without looking at the pickup from underneath).
2000s sound a lot like the DynaSonic, but the DynaSonic still has better bass, smoother highs and better balance string-to-string. The 2000s also have that rockabilly twang though.
They have one advantage over the DynaSonics in that they're made in reverse-wound/reverse-polarity pairs for hum cancellation so that when you put the pick-up switch in middle position they act like a humbucker.
If you have a guitar with 2000s that hum in the middle position you might wanna experiment with the wiring as it seems some guitars have been wired wrong from the factory.
The 2000s are made in the USA by Fender and come with both black and white covers - black for Gretsch and white for Guild (as usual).
Many 2000s have been passed of for being DynaSonics. Gretsch Streamliners and Synchromatics had them, even though they were called "DynaSonics" until Fender took over. Likewise the Guild X160 Rockabilly has been marketed as having 2ks while they in fact never had anything but 2000s.
This must been a marketing mistake as I guess most people would prefer the 2000s. Anyway, it's easy to see how all this confusing gets started when the names for these pickups have been picked so poorly. I'm mean how is anyone suppose to know that 2ks, 2000s and 200s are entirely different pickups?
"DeArmond 2k" (single coil)
Made to sound like a P-90, in that it is a very fat single coil, but not quite as heavy as a P-90 and with a piercing upper-frequency sound sometimes described as an ice-pick-to-the-forehead sound. So in a way this DeArmond actually gives you more of a Gibson sound than a Gretsch sound, but it's still a good rockabilly pickup and some people like to use it in the bridge position while having a DynaSonic or a 2000 in the neck position - especially on solid bodies.
Comes both with black or white cover and with a square chrome plated metal cover or one with an elongated "V" cut-out on each of the two short ends.
It was made for the DeArmond line of guitars (now out of production) and was - to my knowledge - never offered on any Gretsch guitars. You can buy it as a spare part or find it on the now very cheap DeArmond guitars. This pickup was made in the USA by Fender.

DeArmond trivia:
Eddie Van Halen didn't invent the tapping technique, Harry DeArmond did. He did it to promote the sensitivity of his pickups, sometimes playing two guitars simultaneously!
He also invented the world's first effect unit for electric guitar - A tremolo called Model 800 Trem Trol. It was used by Bo Diddley and many others.
For those of you looking for a vintage DeArmond pickup (more than 100 different were made) you might like to know that they were factory-fitted in instruments by Airline, D'Angelico, Eko, Epiphone, Fender, Gretsch, Guild, Harmony, Hofner, Kustom, Levin, Ovation, Premier, Martin, Messenger, Microfrets, Silvertone and Standel.
...& a link to the whole site, it's good reading.
http://www.the-jime.dk/Rockabilly_Guitar.htm
vulture is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Country Gent

Beautiful, congratulations!
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Gretschified

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmilktruck View Post
That was the suggested retail they went out the door new for about $1200.00
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Gretschified

Nice guitar, I had one, just couldn't bond with it. Congrats!
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

I have the exact same one, same colour. I didn't like the stock ugly brown pickguard, so had a copy made in black. Looks much nicer now. I love the tone. It's one of my favourite guitars. It reacts so well in tone to different strings. Have flatwound 11s on at the moment, love the thwack/thud bass. Very vintage/James Bond ish.....

I'd love a White one, but they're very hard to find. Enjoy!

Mr Marlin

“As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists.”
The Marlin is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
Synchromatic

I used to have a full 3+2+1 lounge suite and a 6-piece dining suite with that exact same Aztec style fabric on your couch! However, the red part was used as the centre, with the green on the edges. Just goes to show Gretsch owners have got great taste!

The only guitar that sounds like a Gretsch is another Gretsch
Anni_Lover is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Gretschie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmilktruck View Post
Found this surfing the web.

Streamliner™
251-0201-515 G3150 Streamliner, Cherry .................................................. .................................................. ................$1,560
251-0201-506 G3151 Streamliner, Black .................................................. .................................................. ..................$1,560
250-0202-515 G3155 Streamliner with Bigsby, Cherry .................................................. ..............................................$1,6 80
250-0202-505 G3156 Streamliner with Bigsby, White............................................. .................................................. ...$1,680
250-0222-506 G3156BKLH Streamliner Left Hand, Black .................................................. ........................................$1,920
099-6439-000 G3174 Padded Gig Bag for Streamliner....................................... .................................................. ..........$10

This is from a 2003 price list.
Tim
Old February 7th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Country Gent

way cool! congrats!
calvin lee is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Gretschie

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin lee View Post
way cool! congrats!
Thanks.
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Send a message via Skype™ to 6stings

Congratulations Darkbeer! These 'cats-eyes' er so cool. My younger son has orange G3140 and, thanks to our G-T member and my friend Tom 'Stingker', my older has red G3150.
Now I want one too!
Cheers,
Darko