Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Electromatic Gretsch Forum Forum dedicated to this great line of less expensive but non-the-less cool Gretsch guitars for you and me.

Notices

Old November 22nd, 2012, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gretschie

Default 5120 vs 5125

Here's a question for the mass's. what's the difference between a 5120 and a 5125 besides the DeArmond pick ups????? Curious minds want too know. Thanks gang

Drock-5122 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Have a look here: Deja Vu

Marlin

The love of money is the root of all evil.....damn, I could use some really rather naughty right now.....
The Marlin is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

The 5125 also has a Bigsby compensated rocking bar bridge.
Tony65x55 is online now Online   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 22nd, 2012, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Country Gent

The 5125 could have been built in either one of two locations, depending on the age. The early models have a slightly thinner body, fixed rocking Bigsby bridge, and trem with tension bar.

The body on the later versions are essentially the same as the 5120. My 2005 5126 was much more vibrant unplugged than my 2008 5120, but it played much the same, same neck, same break angle, same Bigsby.

Sold 'em both within weeks of getting my first proline. I found the jumbo frets a pain after the vintage style ones.

I had an early 5129 for a while too, thin body, tension bar Bigsby. Sold it in less than a week. The Bigsby had no "feel" to it. I'd go for a late model.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Country Gent

The 5124-29s also had bone nuts, as well as a lot of changes. Aime had b70s most of them b60s. Some had bigsby compensated bridges, others had tunomatics, most came floating, some were on studs into the body
Lizardkinged is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gretschie

So besides the pick ups there pretty much the same animal? I would def change pick ups out on a 5120, but would stick with DeArmonds on 5125
Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Country Gent

And the bone nut and bridge/bigsby transitions.
Lizardkinged is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drock-5122 View Post
So besides the pick ups there pretty much the same animal? I would def change pick ups out on a 5120, but would stick with DeArmonds on 5125
I actually found quite a discernable difference between them. Not enough that I could put my finger on it but enough that I played my 5129 way more than my 5120. It is a super guitar too but Jflintmac and I swapped guitars (5120 / 5125) because we each preferred the other. We're both really happy with the deal and I have twinges of guilt because I like the 5125 (now with Dynas) so much more. I think Jeff feels the same way so there HAS to be a difference more than the pickups but I can't tell you what it is.

There ya go.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 02:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Country Gent

The Dearmonds are a great twangy coil, but compared to a real Dyna they're a bit lacking in punch and midrange. With a 512x you get the option of retro-fitting dynas without much work. It's doable on the 5120, but the result doesn't look as good.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 02:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Synchromatic

I will tell ya!!!

5125 HAS BIG UGLY F HOLES!!!
Hahahahaha
That is all I have to say about that!
Chancey77 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 02:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Country Gent

The rarer ones from the end of production have the same as the 5120!
Old November 23rd, 2012, 02:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Daddy View Post
What year was that Unc?
cowmoo is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancey77 View Post
I will tell ya!!!

5125 HAS BIG UGLY F HOLES!!!
Hahahahaha
That is all I have to say about that!
You've already said too much.

The big f-holes give the earlier models an amazing acoustic projection. And, if you share my love of controlled, responsive feedback, these are quite possibly the most gratifying guitars on the planet!

I audition my gear with my eyes closed. Music is all about what things sound like! When I open my eyes, I am greeted by the sight of my beloved G5125, with those big, effective, wonderful f-holes.

So, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Daddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo View Post
What year was that Unc?
My 2005 G5125 is a transition example, with the same large f-holes as the earlier production, but the floating Bigsby rocker bridge with the B-60 Bigsby that appeared on guitars made thereafter. To me, this 2005 is the ideal combination, and I fully expect that future afficianados will concur.

I loathe the tension bar Bigsby trems, so the B-60 was high on my shopping list of features when I set out on my quest. And the stock bridge can't deliver the tone that I get with the stainless steel Compton that replaced it. From what I have read, the Comptons work very well on fixed-bridge Gretsches as well. I can report that I'm very happy with the Compton on my fixed-bridge G5135 Corvette, so I'm inclined to believe the happy reviews of others who have installed Compton bridges on early-production 5125-29 guitars.

The build quality of the G5125-29 guitars is exemplary. The DeArmond 2000 pickups are so good that I have no doubt at all that they will attain legendary status. The sad fact that they are no longer in production will only enhance their well-deserved reputation.

And, despite the commentary from certain quarters , I steadfastly assert that the 2005 transition models are the best examples from a truly amazing chapter in the ongoing sga that is Gretsch history.

Last edited by LATS; November 23rd, 2012 at 05:40 AM.
LATS is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo View Post
What year was that Unc?
Latest I saw was 2008. Narrow f-holes, floating bridge, B-60, 2.5" body. Next on my hitlist, maybe!
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Gretschie

You guys take it easy..... LOL.... I didn't mean to start WWIII, I was just trying to figure out if I wanted to buy a 25, or get myself into another Gretsch project. Was mostly concerned about the binding, being I've never stuck my head inside one. Kinda like a guitar proctor...lol. The pups are the fun part.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Country Gent

I'd agree with the larger f holes adding some sonic quality. My 5126 had them, and it was much more vibrant than my 5120. I guess there's more involved; my 6129-60 has the same narrow f holes as my 57EC, but is much louder and more resonant.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 08:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
Electromatic

I have to agree with LATS that the unplugged volume of the 5125 is remarkable; not deep and resonant or anything, but still very playable when the power goes out. Plus, those big F-holes make it easy to shake out a pick for those times when the strumming hand goes ape****!

I would have kept the heavy D's in mine if it weren't for A) the neck pup was mounted off center (not much, but enough to drive me batty, like a single ant in a picnic) and B) I wanted the TV Jones grind. OK, C) I don't feel truly connected to anything (guitar, car, bike etc.) until I have messed with it. I know you know what I'm talking about, fellow modders.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Easy Lats, they're just jealous of our big F-holes. They only wish...
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:10 AM   #19 (permalink)
Electromatic

I have a 5129 and LOVE IT! I also have some TV Jones dynas waiting to go into action but I can't bring myself to do it! I know it's not an irreversable mod so I gotta give it a go someday but I guess I fear missing the stock dearmonds. Plus, I've never believed that just 'cos a pickup is wound hotter it means it's better.
Byron is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
The body on the later versions are essentially the same as the 5120. My 2005 5126 was much more vibrant unplugged than my 2008 5120, but it played much the same, same neck, same break angle, same Bigsby.

Sold 'em both within weeks of getting my first proline. I found the jumbo frets a pain after the vintage style ones.
Quote:
I actually found quite a discernable difference between them. Not enough that I could put my finger on it but enough that I played my 5129 way more than my 5120. It is a super guitar too but Jflintmac and I swapped guitars (5120 / 5125) because we each preferred the other. We're both really happy with the deal and I have twinges of guilt because I like the 5125 (now with Dynas) so much more. I think Jeff feels the same way so there HAS to be a difference more than the pickups but I can't tell you what it is.
The 2 guitars seemed really close to identicle, as far as the body and the F-holes and the necks, but I am sure that the 5125 that I traded to Tony - had smaller frets on it. That might have been because the previous owner took them down quite a bit??? I don't really know. They didn't seem narrower (from my memory)
My 5120 has slightly taller frets that are definately not Jumbo, but I do like them a bit better.
I obviously must have better taste than Tony
After all, he had to buy more than a dozen Gretsches. I was blessed with 1 really good one!

But seriously, there is obviously a few variations on the 51xx line-up over the years that they have been produced. Suffice it to say that there really doesn't seem to be a bad one out there that can be named by year or manufacturer. I think the 5125 is likely to be worth a few bucks more from a financial standpoint, but for me, my 5120 is the only Humbucker guitar that I must have, besides a Jet (that I don't have yet) Everyone needs at least 1 HB guitar. This is my choice.
If I do get a Proline Gretsch, it would likely be a single coil model. Ya got to have both!
jflintmac is offline Offline   Reply With Quote