Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Electromatic Gretsch Forum Forum dedicated to this great line of less expensive but non-the-less cool Gretsch guitars for you and me.

Notices

Old September 12th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Electromatic

Default Split Coil on a 5122

Hey,

As I continue to enjoy my 5122 I'm still looking at a possible pickup upgrade. Yes I know, everyones says TVJones Classic's. But here's a thought. Has anyone used a split coil setup on a 5120 or 5122 with the humbuckers that come stock on the guitar? Wonder how that would sound.

Anyone have any ideas?

Capt Mike is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Country Gent

If you want to do that, you would have to open the pickups and rewire them as 4-wire humbuckers. The stock Gretschbuckers are wired with 2 wires, and are not set up to be coil-split. It's possible though, if you know what you're doing.
tartanphantom is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Electromatic

Okay, figures, I was just wondering if anyone had thought of it. I have an Ibanez ASF75T with GFS RetroTron Nashville pickups and they come with 4 wire setup. I'm going to use it as my test case and try a split coil setup. So I was just wondering if it was also possible on a 5122..
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 14th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gretschified

If you order a set of TV Jones for it you can get them with 4 wires & do the coil tapping.. I know that isn't quite the answer you're looking for, but it's the best of both worlds

Tara
Rockin' Repairs
araT is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Electromatic

Has anyone done this, TV Jones told me I would have to use the TV Classics Plus pickups
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Gretschie

I'm about to do it on my 5124. I'm going to change the original Dearmond 2000s for a TV Classic & a TV Classic Plus (both 4 conductor in Dearmond mount) and hope to be able to split both pickups with a single push-pull pot at the master volume. I'm currently waiting for the pickups to arrive. I'll let you know how I get on!

Martin

PS Capt Mike - they only make the Classic Plus for the bridge pickup, but the Classics are available in 4 conductor wiring, so you shouldn't have a problem with them
Griffindude is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Country Gent

I've had split coils on a few guitars, including my present main axe with Duncans. The humbuckers are great and the tap part works fine. The actual tone you get with the split is pretty limited compared to a true standard single coil. I am able to get some worthy tones with significant fidlin' but most of the tone spectrum is quite lacking. It is NOT like having a Strat or a Tele and all that is possible with them but it is nice to have the little bit extra for what it's worth.

mj
Old August 24th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Country Gent

I have never enjoyed the sound made by 1/2 of a humbucker. I have never tried it in a Hollow body though. It sounds like a lot of work without a lot of promise to satisfy but that's just my opinion.
jflintmac is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by montereyjack66 View Post
I've had split coils on a few guitars, including my present main axe with Duncans. The humbuckers are great and the tap part works fine. The actual tone you get with the split is pretty limited compared to a true standard single coil. I am able to get some worthy tones with significant fidlin' but most of the tone spectrum is quite lacking. It is NOT like having a Strat or a Tele and all that is possible with them but it is nice to have the little bit extra for what it's worth.
mj
An alternative to coil splitting is series/parallel switching. The Epiphone Swingster does this & the tones are both quite useful, without the drop in volume from switching to just one coil.

SF
Scott Fraser is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gretschie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflintmac View Post
I have never enjoyed the sound made by 1/2 of a humbucker. I have never tried it in a Hollow body though. It sounds like a lot of work without a lot of promise to satisfy but that's just my opinion.
Hmmm. Sounds like the results could be disappointing
Old August 24th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Would coil split classics result in hilotron tones? That would be awesome
Dirtymug666 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fraser View Post
An alternative to coil splitting is series/parallel switching. The Epiphone Swingster does this & the tones are both quite useful, without the drop in volume from switching to just one coil.

SF

This gives two distinct tones from each pup, and both settings are humbucking, so it's still quiet.
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Gretschie

Just put blacktop filter trons in my 5122 and it sounds so incredible now. Check them out. I got mine off a guy replacing the pups on his 5420. Great deal on eBay.
Drock-5122 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Gretschie

Well, I put the Classics in the other day and it sounds completely fantastic at home. Yes, the single coil side of things is a weedier sort of sound, but one can create a whole dose of colours by varying the humbucker/single coil options. The proof of the pudding will be at my next gig on Saturday, when I crank it up through my Blues Deluxe!
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Have Craig Vineham hand wind you a set of his delicious humbuckers with coil taps. He'll do it for you for $50 each plus shipping. His work is fabulous, quick and very cost effective. He doesn't do Filter'tron types (yet) but he can wind humbuckers to Filter'tron specs if you ask. WAY better than GFS and as good as any of the others hand wound boutique pickups.

Craig Vineham: craig.vineham@NF.sympatico.ca
Tony65x55 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
Gretschie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflintmac View Post
Well, I've had the split coil TV Jones on the 5124 for a good few months now and still haven't really used the single coil option. The drop in volume is hard to get used to. I have an attenuator which makes an easier job of getting the volume right, but man, the sound of those 'buckers is just so cool, so I don't really ever feel like switching. Nice to have the option though!
Martin
Old May 8th, 2013, 04:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

a TV classic is to weak to coil split TV Classic plus would be better, or a Supertron!

I want a coil splittable Supertron in my Ruttter La Cabronita.

Marlin

“As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists.”
The Marlin is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 04:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Gretschie

Oh, I have a TV Classic Plus in the bridge. Still haven't got round to using the tap though. I thought it might be nice to mix the 'bucker single coil options around for variation of sound, but the difference in volume between the pickups is too great for that to be a really viable option. For me it would be either both humbucking or both tapped. At present though, the 'buckers are winning every time!