Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Electromatic Gretsch Forum Forum dedicated to this great line of less expensive but non-the-less cool Gretsch guitars for you and me.

Notices

Old September 6th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Gretschie

Default Bo Diddley guitar

Hi folks. I´m thinking about getting a Gretsch Bo Diddley guitar. Sounds easy. But: there´s a G5810 Electromatic and a G6138 Pro-Line model. Or not? The 6138 can´t be found on the Gretsch website. Precious little info are to be found on the net or the tube so I ask here instead where the experience is in abundance!
Is the 6138 a discontinued model? Was it, or is it, basically the same model but upgraded with gold plating and G tailpiece and whatnot? And if I do get a 5810, can a G tailpiece be added later? Enlighten me please. My main problem is not to purchase either guitar, it is to find one to try out -I have no idea what they feel like to play.

svenslim is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gretschified

As far as I know the 6138 is still in production - last I heard, anway.. I've noticed a few models are missing from the Gretsch site, but they're still made.

There's a huuuuge difference between the electromatic & proline models, not saying that the electromatics aren't great guitars for the money - they are, but the prolines are a whole different beast. The wood used is better, the electronics are better, the hardware is better, the pickups are better, the workmanship is better.. The electromatics are made in China, the prolines are made in Japan at the same factories Fender Japan uses. Compare the electromatic Pro Jets with the proline Duo Jets, or if you rather, the better Squier models to Fenders. I don't think you'll regret spending the extra cash & going pro for a single second.

Is there a store in town that will order one in without you agreeing to buy it so you can take it for a test-drive? perhaps one of the larger Gretsch stockists?

Tara
Rockin' Repairs
araT is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenslim View Post
Is the 6138 a discontinued model? Was it, or is it, basically the same model but upgraded with gold plating and G tailpiece and whatnot? And if I do get a 5810, can a G tailpiece be added later? Enlighten me please. My main problem is not to purchase either guitar, it is to find one to try out -I have no idea what they feel like to play.
answers in order of questions:

1) I do not believe the 6138 has been discontinued.

2) NO, it is NOT the same model as the 5810. The construction, pickups and hardware is quite different.

3)YES, a G-cutout tailpiece can be added to a 5810 with very little trouble... mine is pictured below. It was roughly a 15-30 minute job.

tartanphantom is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 8th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gretschie

Awrajt! That´s the look, oh Phantom-of-the-tartan-kind! Adding a pickguard is a good idea. I´ll probably contact Paul Setzer about that, considering the marvellous job he did with my Lucky Luke pickguard for the 6120. But it will be another image...
And the coffin case is...well, the nail in the coffin I suppose! Of course it has to be one of those. Oh, this perpetual desire for more instruments...how I just love it!
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Send a message via Skype™ to 6stings

Any difference in neck profiles on Diddleys?
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Country Gent

i want a bo diddley rectangle so badly.
calvin lee is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Awrajt! That´s the look, oh Phantom-of-the-tartan-kind! Adding a pickguard is a good idea. I´ll probably contact Paul Setzer about that, considering the marvellous job he did with my Lucky Luke pickguard for the 6120. But it will be another image...
And the coffin case is...well, the nail in the coffin I suppose! Of course it has to be one of those. Oh, this perpetual desire for more instruments...how I just love it!
Paul Setzer is indeed the man to call about the pickguard. I designed mine, and he built it, so he should still have the standard template for it.

As far as the Coffin case goes, mine is an older one. They changed the design slightly on the newer ones, but if you get the small coffin case, it should fit with no problem. Keep in mind that while there is plenty of empty space on either side of the body, the narrow bottom of the case firmly holds the end of the guitar, which prevents movement within the case. Also, the bed of the case is elevated like a ramp, which supports the upper body at the neck. these pictures show more clearly how the guitar fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stings View Post
Any difference in neck profiles on Diddleys?
Hard to say. The neck profile is definitely different from my Pro-line Knotty Pine Roundup. It's a wee bit thinner and the neck feels slightly wider. However, the neck profile on the Electromatic Bo model is very similar to Pre-Fender Electromatic Sparkle Jets.
Old September 10th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Hi folks. I´m thinking about getting a Gretsch Bo Diddley guitar...
sven, can you find any Diddley in Sweden and for what price?
Believe it or not, the list price for G6138 is $4600 here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartanphantom View Post
The neck profile is definitely different from my Pro-line Knotty Pine Roundup. It's a wee bit thinner and the neck feels slightly wider. However, the neck profile on the Electromatic Bo model is very similar to Pre-Fender Electromatic Sparkle Jets.
Thank you tartan!
Maybe I can get 'new' '05 G6138 for $1000...

Last edited by 6stings; September 10th, 2011 at 02:25 AM.
6stings is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Electromatic

Default One for sale in my area

This one has been for sale in Denver area for a while. Just passing it on.

BTW: No affiliation with seller. Shipping may be a killer.

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/2527133389.html
l80241 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Country Gent

I might buy one of those single pickup Electromatic Bo Diddleys if one came my way just to have for gigs.
DrumBob is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
I might buy one of those single pickup Electromatic Bo Diddleys if one came my way just to have for gigs.
A Junior with one bridge pickup is on my future projects list.
Old September 10th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

I just ordered a 5810 and joined this site. The reason I like the Bo Diddley is for it's clean lines. The tailpiece also crowds the buttons.
Xtian999 is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Gretschie

Hi guys. There is a local shop, just around the corner from where I work. They have both the 5810 and the 6138 on their website. But not so in the shop. Sure, I can ask them to bring one to the shop but knowing them, they will be ever so reluctant to do it unless I intend to buy. It´s probably easier to teach the Eiffel Tower to dance the samba! But if I do ask them, and they comply, I will try them both. Internet price is roughly 570 for the Electromatic and 3300 for the proline model. That´s in United Statesish moneydollars currency of course. So that´s something to think about, 6sting.
Coffin cases -where can they be found then?
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Hi guys. There is a local shop, just around the corner from where I work. They have both the 5810 and the 6138 on their website. But not so in the shop. Sure, I can ask them to bring one to the shop but knowing them, they will be ever so reluctant to do it unless I intend to buy. It´s probably easier to teach the Eiffel Tower to dance the samba! But if I do ask them, and they comply, I will try them both. Internet price is roughly 570 for the Electromatic and 3300 for the proline model. That´s in United Statesish moneydollars currency of course. So that´s something to think about, 6sting.
Coffin cases -where can they be found then?
Hey svenslim, looks like the dealers over there do the business the same way as ours: nothing in stock - yes, we can order it for you - 3-4 weeks waiting - and they rip the skin off you back with their prices!!!

What you saw as $3300 list price, they translate here to:
130019 Elgitar Gretsch G6138 Bo Diddley RED kr.26.250,- (Norske kroner)

I don't know anyone who would pay that!

I did my math, import tax 25%, custom fee always $40...so I decided to go for the pro version.
I'm waiting right now one G6138 from the US of A!
It's 'new' '05 model, never used.
The price I payed: $1050 plus shipping.

Don't be discouraged with the list prices, make you offer.
Good luck!
Darko
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Country Gent

svenslim, I checked the Coffin Case website, and unfortunately they don't appear to have any European dealers yet. It looks like you would have to order one from a US dealer, which brings up the ugly situation on duty fees and tariffs.

Here's their website:

http://www.coffincase.com/
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartanphantom View Post
svenslim, I checked the Coffin Case website, and unfortunately they don't appear to have any European dealers yet. It looks like you would have to order one from a US dealer, which brings up the ugly situation on duty fees and tariffs.
Here's their website:
http://www.coffincase.com/
I would recommend to ask the guitar seller/store to buy one coffin case and ship the guitar in the case.
I do that always when the guitar has no case, or has a gig bag, like many on ebay.
If it's OK with the seller, and it always is, I PayPal him/her the money for the case and US local shipping, if required.
He/her buys the case and pack the guitar in it, box it, and that's it.
The shipping cost for an empty case is almost the same as for the case with the guitar inside.
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
Gretschie

I can´t make out on the Coffin Case website which model would be suitable for the square Gretsch Diddley. Can anybody help? I want a black outside but the color on the inside can be whatever.
Old September 16th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

Quote:
I can´t make out on the Coffin Case website which model would be suitable for the square Gretsch Diddley. Can anybody help? I want a black outside but the color on the inside can be whatever.
How can you figure out anything looking at those Coffin Girls, woo they are hot
Old September 16th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

An older thread: http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/el...ddley-box.html
Old August 25th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Gretschie

For my 50th this May, my colleagues at work, well 140 of them anyway, contributed with some hard-earned well-taxed money. After the flowers and smaller presents had been covered, enough money remained for a gift card in a local music store. So what to buy? Difficult decision, but why not get me something I perhaps wouldn´t have purchased right now. So chipped in the balance and got myself a G5810 Bo Diddley. Here´s the evidence:

Remains a little bit of decoration to it, and a suitable strap plus of course a coffin case.