Gretsch-Talk.Com Forum Archive

Lookin´ for a Reverb Pedal (Rockabilly and Surf)

Staudi
September 22nd, 2010, 12:58 AM
Aloha!

I´m searching a nice Reverb pedal mostly for Rockabilly and Surf. I know its hard to find a nice sounding pedal with this Surf Drip. A Fender Reverb Tank would be much better, but I can´t (and I don´t want to) afford it at the moment!

I used google and found some Pedals with nice sound samples.

Boss FRV-1 – My favourite of these, love the sound samples!
Danelectro Spring King – I love the idea of this kick Pad :D but I read it sounds very “small”
Malekko Spring Chicken
Malekko Chicklet
Z.Cat Triverb
Z.Cat Spring Reverb

Maybe you have one (or more) of this pedals and tell me something about it?!
I want a Reverb sounding like this Dick Dale, Ventures, Surfaries stuff

Thx an advance,
Staudi

54Memphis
September 22nd, 2010, 02:59 AM
Teste mal das Danelectro Wasabi "Rockabye". Damit surfe und rolle ich höchst zufrieden seit nunmehr 3 Jahren. Super robust und mit ca. 60 Euro auch nicht immens teuer.

Staudi
September 22nd, 2010, 03:09 AM
Das Rockabye ist aber ein Delay oder? Ich suche ja ein Reverb, Delay hab ich schon eins mit dem ich ganz zufrieden bin. Den Surf Drip bekommste halt mit nem Delay nicht hin.

Werd die Frage auch mal im Rockabilly Forum stellen, vielleicht wissen da auch ein paar Leute was!?

danke trotzdem!

54Memphis
September 22nd, 2010, 03:47 AM
Eigentlich ist es ein reinrassiges Echo.

Axis39
September 22nd, 2010, 07:32 AM
MXR Carbon Copy is one should look at as well. A very nice analog delay with a beautiful Rockabilly slapback sound for about 140 USD.

Staudi
September 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Reverb, reverb, reverb, reverb, reverb,....., :D

Mark W
September 22nd, 2010, 08:55 AM
All of my amps have reverb, but the one pedal I do use occasionally is the Digitech Digiverb.

Synchro
September 22nd, 2010, 09:51 AM
All of my amps have reverb, but the one pedal I do use occasionally is the Digitech Digiverb.

That's one of my favorites. It's probably the best one out there in its price range. (Prices slightly higher west of the Mississippi.) :)

JBennett
September 22nd, 2010, 09:57 AM
Danelectro makes something called the SPRING KING. It's a real spring reverb that has a built it touch of slap back. You can roll off the spring and just get a bit of slap back. So that might cover you. I have a reel echo pedal too since I like to control the slapback sometimes, but the spring king is still my fave pedal. If I could afford a fender reverb unit, I'd use that, but for now the Spring is KING.

Bob M
September 22nd, 2010, 10:02 AM
Holy Grail-In a band setting pretty good. Hard to tell from spring.

claydots
September 22nd, 2010, 10:07 AM
I tried many a reverb pedal and wasted a lot of $$$$...

Broke down and bought a reverb tank... never thought about it again.

BBQ Boogie
September 22nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
I tried many a reverb pedal and wasted a lot of $$$$...

Broke down and bought a reverb tank... never thought about it again.

+1.

Ampeg Jet II w/ reverb and tremelo on-board. Every now and then I add a hint of my Boss DD-3 that's been working great since 1987. My 5120 sounds great through it - as does my Tele. :cool:

Sunshine
September 22nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
Anyone tried a Solid Gold FX Surf Rider (http://solidgoldfx.com/pedals/surfrider.php)?

mark t
September 22nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
I've always wanted to check out one of those Spring Kings, but since i got my Fender Hot Rod, i'm covered for reverb.

I've heard a few good things about the Holy Grail, a buddy of mine uses one and he's been playing for a looooooonnnnggggg time. I'd take his recommendation of a product very seriously.

sroux
September 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
Staudi..

I use a Holy Grail Nano. It's cheap, does Spring, Hall and Flerb (flanged reverb)
To my ear it sounds pretty close to the drippy Fender reverb.
Here's a vid of my band doing a surf tune we wrote called El Sol Guerrero (The Sun Warrior) Drums drown out the guitar at times, but you can hear the reverb well for much of the video.

s0soUEzggHM

TV the Wired Turtle
September 22nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
I got one for ya.. :) ..no more guitar center canned guitar pedals, booteek
all the way!

YouTube - Reverb Showdown ? Strymon Blue Sky vs. Dr. Scientist Radical Red

brian blaut
September 22nd, 2010, 01:29 PM
I've tried some of the pedals on your list - also looking for a rockabilly/surf do it all pedal.

Chicklet - didn't care for it. I was OK for light amounts mind you, but it thinned out the over all sound compared to the reverb on my amp (which was a peavey classic 50). -Thats not an amp known for it's reverb, but it was still a hell of a lot fuller and richer sounding than the thin sound of the chicklet. Also, the chicklet made a terrible rattle can percussive noise when turned up to moderate amounts. At heavey amounts it was unbearable. Not the slight subtle echoey sound of a real 2 spring pan mind you, but really percussive and loud. Clickity Clack. It won't do surf at all.

-Spring Chicken - much better than the chicklet. It uses the same chip (belton brick) as many other boutique pedals. I found the Mr. Springgy to be VERY similar but slightly smoother and richer. BTW, this pedal will let you dial in large amounts of very usable reverb for surf, but it won't have the drip character per say.

-Mr. springgy. New, it's expensive, but it can be had for $125 used. This was easliy my favorite fake reverb. Smoother than the chicken. Cranked it sounded really good and let me get away with surf stuff (as long as you're not in a real surf band:). It didn't drip, but it did sound usuable. At medium or light settings, you get the most beautiful Chris Isaak reverb going. Very lush. Warm enough to sound full, bright enough to sound slightly metallic like spring reverb. It also goosed the presence of my circuit ever so slightly - in a good way. I loved this pedal for what it was.

Boss FRV-1 - I didn't like this pedal at all. But believe it or not, it was by and large the very best at the surf thing. It actually starts to drip and sound like a tube reverb, at least, it's the closest. The thing is, I found it a real one trick pony. It couldn't compete with the Springgy for anything near full/pretty reverb. It could only dish out a trashy, tinny, very thin and trebly but drippy reverb. Even on light settings, it was just to harsh sounding. It's usuable, but it has a VERY narrow range in the settings where it actually sounds good. Over all, I decided to keep the Springgy and settle for no drip, rather than fake drip in an otherwise trashy sounding pedal.I sold it to a buddy that just loves it. But he loves the trashy lo-fi quality. There's a youtube video out there that compares it to a real tank. You can see what I mean. the pedal sounds OK in the video, then they play the real tank and you can hear just how much cleaner, thicker and beautiful the real tank is. To me this pedal is as if you're looking for a new girlfriend that is blond with a nice french accent. Its as if you found a girl who is indeed very blond and very french.....accept she's ugly. I had to pick whether I keep the girl with the features I was looking for, or do I let go of what I originally wanted in order to get an actual pretty girl - which is really more important to me. Of course, other people LOVE this pedal, which just means its also like girls. Everyone's taste is different.

Hardwire reverb - I only played with the Spring setting, which I found WAY too bright. I was OK with the tone knob rolled all the way down. The reverb sound in this pedal was pretty darn close to the SS reverb in a Hot Rod Deluxe. Very close. No drip though. And in the end, it seemed to drop some mid frequencies from the dry signal. There was a presence and mojo missing from the sound while using this pedal. Not for me.

Holy Grail - I had this one for a while before going on the hunt. It definately added some upper mid sizzle that I liked to the signal. -Some presence that was gone when I wasn't using the pedal. You may or may not like that. If I remember correctly, the reverb was usable - a little bright and metallic but in a good way. But I couldn't stand the blend knob, which turns down your dry signal as you turn up the reverb. So if you usually play a low - moderate reverb amount, but every know and then want to kick in some serious wetness, you have a problem because your guitar sounds quieter as you turn it up. Shame on you Electro Harmonix for designing the majority of your pedals this way. Boo.

So I used the Mr. Springgy for a long while and was VERY happy with it until I got a Fender Deluxe reverb Reissue. -Still not anywhere near the drippy sound of the stand alone fender tube unit, but still, the DRRI has copious amounts of beautiful real tube reverb that KILLS any pedal. But if I need another digital pedal, I wouldn't hesitate to track down another Mr. Springgy or perhaps try out a Hermida Reverb, which I've heard so much about (uses the same chip).

Those strymon boxes sound great (both the reverb and the delay), but damn, they's expensive and you never see them used. Hell, you could get the reissued fender tank used for close to that price. -But then again, you'd have to lug that bastard around which I do NOT want to do.

My advice, buy several from a place like Proguitarshop.com who has a 45 day return policy, or buy used. Try them out against each other and return (or sell) the ones that don't cut the mustard. Test their bypass signal (if they're not true bypass) and test them ON, but with the reverb turned down to hear what exactly the pedal's circuit is doing to the dry sound. Then test their ability to do pretty moderate stuff and heavy surfy stuff. In the end, you'll have the one that works for you and you won't have lost any money in the journey.

budman1950
September 22nd, 2010, 02:38 PM
What all goes into making a tank-based reverb unit?

Very basically, you're making a small tube amp that sends to and returns from a reverb spring tank. Not hard at all really.

I love surf music from the early '60s and have never been able to find a pedal that could duplicate a Fender Reverb unit from that time period. Sooo, I made one.

Bought the transformers, choke and tank off of ebay and the tubes from Parts Express. Most of the caps, resistors, jacks, etc., I had laying around and I used an old chassis from a switching power supply. The schematics and layout diagrams are everywhere on the internet. Ended up costing less than $200.

For me, the hardest part was the cabinet. I suck at wood! But, I figured the uglier the better. :o

My daughter's boyfriend, a young metal guitar player, laughed at it, saying it was the biggest pedal he'd ever seen.

That was until he played through it. :D

GentleBen
September 22nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
Holy Grail-In a band setting pretty good. Hard to tell from spring.

I like my Holy Grail. I usually set a small amount of reverb on the amp and kick in the pedal when I want an additional amount for a particular song.

TV the Wired Turtle
September 22nd, 2010, 04:25 PM
nothin at all replaces a real tube spring tank, thats why I had to have that
built into my amps.. but not everything calls for surf. I love plate reverbs, halls,etc.. ambient reverb is much more useful than the sprang of a surf'verb unless youre actually in a surf band or want to be that irritating guitarist that uses a wah or chorus pedal on every song.

mikante
September 22nd, 2010, 05:23 PM
the best reverb I have, the quadraverb, it doesn't do any spring reverb type of sound but the Hall and Room settings are just luxurious!
The Holy Grail was good for what I remember, now I got the Holiest Grail, it doeas everything, bunch of sliders to find your own tone, but honestly, I don't like it.
Once I also had the Verbzilla from line6, very good sounding and many many type of reverb options, it's digital though.
By the way, the best spring reverb I've ever heard, form my Deluxe Reverb silver face, can't beat it.

Sharkblues
September 22nd, 2010, 06:11 PM
Has anyone done the Bitmo mod kit that turns a Valve Jr into a reverb tank?

http://www.bitmomodkits.com/servlet/the-107/BITMO-SPRING-REVERB-UNIT/Detail

budman1950
September 22nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
Has anyone done the Bitmo mod kit that turns a Valve Jr into a reverb tank?

http://www.bitmomodkits.com/servlet/the-107/BITMO-SPRING-REVERB-UNIT/Detail

I haven't, but it sounds like a great idea. Not sure about controlling it with the guitar's controls though. :confused:

fishlog
September 22nd, 2010, 09:01 PM
I got to back up the guys who have tried pedals and finally broke down and found an amp or tank.

To me nothing comes close to the real Fender amp reverb.

My 63 Vibroverb RI has some of the best 'verb I have ever laid ears on. But being a Bassman fan (which don't have any reverb on board) I tried a couple pedals. Just didn't work. I ended up using a short delay setting on what ever delay I happened to have. The pedal reverbs just seem to wash out the sound to much.

kyleb
September 23rd, 2010, 07:17 AM
I've done the Bitmo spring reverb mod on a Valve Jr. It was very easy to do, I think that there was only one part in the instructions that wasn't too clear to me so I sent Bruce an email and he responded very quickly, on a weekend.
I don't have anything to compare it to but it sounds great to me. The controls are very simple, the reverb level is controlled by the volume knob. Once you do the mod you can not use it as an amp. That said I've had it about a year now and I've noticed it developing some noise in the signal over the past week. I haven't taken the time to try different outlets or power filtering. It sounds like AC interference.

k.

Bob M
September 23rd, 2010, 08:19 AM
I don't think there is a question that real Fender spring reverb is the best reverb. I think there applications for both. In a live setting it is difficult to really tell the difference between a pedal reverb and the true spring reverb. I find that I have 2 rigs these days-one for live, one for recording. What works in the studio doesn't necessarily translate to live.

mikante
September 23rd, 2010, 09:21 AM
I prefer my fender deluxe reverb even for recording, it has something more, a special vibe!

GentleBen
September 23rd, 2010, 01:37 PM
My sound man said he wanted to record us totally dry and add his own effects later.
Do you know how hard it is to find a bass player that will remain dry long enough to play an entire song? :)

brian blaut
September 23rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
Bwaaaaahh haaa haa.:D

sroux
September 23rd, 2010, 01:48 PM
My sound man said he wanted to record us totally dry and add his own effects later.
Do you know how hard it is to find a bass player that will remain dry long enough to play an entire song? :)

ZING!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Lizardkinged
September 23rd, 2010, 01:59 PM
I've been a tube snob in the past, I used to only own tube amps and kick around my little solid state amps.

I had a Hot rod Deluxe with the 4 spring Reverb, and was really geeked about it when i got it. I tried this Fender Cyber deluxe one day and side by side, i could get EVERY type of fender verb out of it (along with the plate, arena, hall, and ambient), plus i got every voicing style out of it. So I traded it for my Hot Rod.
As much as i love tube tone, I've side by sided this Cyber Deluxe with tons of tube combos, and its super tough to tell it isn't tubed. I've put it against my buddy's vintage super reverb, his DRRI, my hand wired champ clone head, an ac30, night-train, and a marshall triple super lead.
Its very very hard to tell until we start getting into the modern stack sounds, and that is simply because its speaker is voiced for a little bit of everything, but more cleans than anything.

Lizardkinged
September 23rd, 2010, 02:04 PM
oh yeah. all that being said. Digital done right is great for the highschool/college band/amateur musician, digital done mediocre is for the hobbiest/home players. Digital on the cheap is for little kids that are going to leave their junk to rot in the basement, but for recording artists and stage performers analog is just the way to go if you can afford it.

I realized being a snob comes with a territory I have yet to totally cross w/o turning back.

Mark W
September 23rd, 2010, 02:28 PM
You can't argue that tube will have the edge on digital, but some of the new digital effects are very impressive. My recommendation on the Digitech would probably be pooh poohed by most, but I took six months and played through a bunch of verbs and the Digiverb really provides some very close to analog sonics.

The new Fender modeling amps (ie: Mustang) are I believe similar to the GDecs but I have not had the op to play one yet, although it is on my to do list.

Lizardkinged
September 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
You can't argue that tube will have the edge on digital, but some of the new digital effects are very impressive. My recommendation on the Digitech would probably be pooh poohed by most, but I took six months and played through a bunch of verbs and the Digiverb really provides some very close to analog sonics.

The new Fender modeling amps (ie: Mustang) are I believe similar to the GDecs but I have not had the op to play one yet, although it is on my to do list.

Sure cant. I think that the Cyber series fenders actually sound better than a lot of the vox valvtronics (they still sound good), and also have a lot of programming and preset features that are just handy.

Gdecs are cool, but not my thing. Havn't heard of the new modelers.

ok. looked into it. looks like a simplified model of the Cyber series. I would say its the difference between a pro-line and a home enthusiast amp, except that the Mustang line has USB capabilities to edit your tone from your PC or mac. Something I wondered about on my Cyber Deluxe. Oh well. lol. I will just get one of those too ;)

Mark W
September 23rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
Lizardkinged

Don't the Cyber and GDEc share a lot of the same modeling platform?

Again, not tube but those 40 watt (SS) Mustangs might work for some small gigs and use a 12" speaker while weighing in at a sweet 24 lbs.

Lizardkinged
September 23rd, 2010, 04:40 PM
No. I'm pretty sure the Gdec are intended for making backing tracks only. But I've been known to be wrong and be a total douche about it ;) lol

I think the Mustang is the next step in the cyber line. it has a lot of the same Ideas, just not as much ability to manually create your own amp type. The cyber you can start with 5 styles of voicing, and then have a whole bunch of preset amp styles. (32 to be exact, 16 of which being vintage fender/vintage english combos and stacks) and then 32 more presets for the user to save. Its loaded with a G12t 100 watt celestion. . .

So I doubt the stang and the G-dec have that going for it.

Mark W
September 24th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

RockingMatt
September 24th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Hey Staudi check out www.wamplerpedals.com

TV the Wired Turtle
September 24th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I prefer my fender deluxe reverb even for recording, it has something more, a special vibe!

knowing youre from italy and seeing your Avatar, makes me want to believe your quote! ..and now I'm hungry

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/2/18/128794652972634692.jpg

Staudi
September 24th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback!

You suggested some REALLY NICE pedals, but pedals like the strymon or the wampler are way too expensive! At this prices I´d save some more money and would buy a tank.

The bitmo epiphone reverb sounds great! That would definately be a choice.

But I´ll order the Digiverb, the hardwire Reverb RV-7 and the FRV-1 and compare them. Lets see which one´s the best for my needs.

Thanks to all and i wish you all a nice weekend,
Staudi

built4speed
September 24th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I was in the market recently for a simple reverb pedal, but some of you had to go ahead and mention the bitmo kit for the Epi VJ and now my GAS just grew and a pedal won't do. Thanks a bunch! I hope you're all really happy with yourselves!!!

:)

kyleb
September 24th, 2010, 01:46 PM
the pedal board might fit on the box.....

built4speed
September 24th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Would a Epi Valve Jr Reverb box fit on your new pedal board? :D

The Epi VJ Reverb will BECOME the pedal board. I'll velcro all the other pedals all around it.

SnorkelMonkey
September 24th, 2010, 08:22 PM
If you're hurt'n don't waste the money. Save up for what you want. Meanwhile a lot of players overlook their delay pedals as a source of reverb. Yes delay pedals. Reverb is actually a form of delay. You won't get the cavernous spring reverbs of the Fender Reverb unit but you can cop a very useful reverb (and cavernous enough to play surf) from most tape, analog, and even digital echo/delay units. Setup the delay time for a short delay. Adjust the feedback or regeneration somewhere before it starts to oscillate. You'll have to play with it a little bit till you get it right.

Here's my taped down settings for my DMM, I adjust the blend control to adjust the amount of reverb. I tested this up against a Deluxe Reverb to get an approximate style reverb. YMMV

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af45/SnorkelChimp/reverbsettings.jpg

The Marlin
February 11th, 2011, 10:49 AM
It might be herasy, but a good cheap option might be a 'Line 6 Verbzilla'. You can pick up a good used one for about £50/$60 - and it'll do just about anything you want it to do.

It'd keep you going until you can find the funds for the Strymon.

I like the look and sounds of Strymon gear, it just immensly expensive, and hard to find in the UK.

GASing for an El Capistan - but the £350 price tag leaves me GAGging. I suppose the question is, is it £300 better than my old Line 6 Echo Park?

I already know the answer.....damn yea! But still, it's a lot of money for an echo box.

Mr Marlin

mikante
February 11th, 2011, 11:03 AM
knowing youre from italy and seeing your Avatar, makes me want to believe your quote! ..and now I'm hungry

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/2/18/128794652972634692.jpg

oh boy how did I miss this :eek::D

by the way I got this one right now, it doesn't do any spring reverb, but if you want a nice, long, warm and luscious reverb for your ambience stuff, this is great.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJXRnPV6SiKusK0bn_beGzTUi17cKK3 FPtHsa0J0P8P5hPzHJb3w

AtomicFishin83
February 11th, 2011, 11:34 AM
No clue what these sound like, but looks interesting...

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Retro-Verb-Classic-Stereo-Digital-reverb-Pedal-Analog-Sounds_p_2187.html#

This thing is incredible...

http://www.ehx.com/products/cathedral

My personal favorite reverb, isn't a pedal... ;)

http://fenderguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/PrinceRev67.jpg

rcboals
February 24th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb Guitar Effects Pedal I am absolutely lovin this little box. No, it is not as good as the real deal like on my 1966 Pro Reverb but to put it in front of my Bandmaster 5E7 3X10 and my Super Deluxe 5E3/5F4 1X12combo it is very very very satisfactory. In a live gig situation in a club you can't tell the difference between my 66 pro reverb and this pedal. I have only had two other reverb pedals both were really sterile digital sounding one was the Electro Harmonix Holy Grail very sterile sounding reverb, and the Boss RV3 same sterile digital as well. They put me off ever thinking I would find a reverb pedal that worked great for what I want with my 6L6 based amps 30 to 40 watts. I was very skeptical about the glowing reviews on the FRV-1 63 but I am convinced now. It may be a one trick pony spring reverb pedal but so is the spring reverb in my 66 pro. It was the frist reverb I ever heard and the only reverb I really care to hear or play but that is just me.(old school one trick pony) I get very confuned when there are lots of knobs and reverb titles like Hall, Plate, Room, Reverse, Gated, Algorythmic, Convolution, Spring, Reverb, Etc. If there are more types of reverbs I don't care. If you are like me, and I know I am:D The only reverb I really want is the Spring reverb I was raised on the Spring reverb and the music I love with reverb is spring reverb. So, if you like the old Fender Spring reverb I would give this one a serious try. It really does sound like this pro guitar shop demo
YouTube - Boss FRV-1 Fender Reverb