Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Ampage Area Sooner or later you gotta plug into something. Discuss amps and related items here.

Notices

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Default Peavey Delta Blues 115 vs Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue

I am looking to buy one of these. The Fender is incredible. I can't find a Delta Blues locally to play. Can you guys help me? I looked at a video someone posted on YouTube comparing the two. They sounded pretty close. Guitar Center has a 15% off sale today but unfortunately Fender is not included.
You can get the Peavey with the discount. What would you do? Thanks

JLoud is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Country Gent

I owned a Delta Blues for about 6 hours and returned it! I found it to be muddy and not have the tonal range I wanted. I instead bought a Blues Deluxe Reissue by Fender which had a much wider tonal range and foot switchable boost which was nice along with two channels. The Deluxe Reverb blows my BDR outs the wahtah!!! That is a sweet amp, and in my very humble opinion the Peavey does not even come close! I would save my nickles for the Fender!
Old November 24th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gretschie

I have to disagree about being muddy, my pedal steel player runs 2 in stereo, it is anything but muddy. It's loud, full, clear.

Gonna have to claim user error, they do take some knob twisting, to get your sound, but they are still built in the U.S.A.

They are buit 10 times better than modern Made in Mexico Fender amps. Peavey's can take a beating that would send Fender crying for it's mommy.
spooky is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 24th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Country Gent

I've got a peavey 210 delta and it is a very nice amp, that said, it ain't no Fender. I use the Peavey in church and my HRD or cyber D or twin or super or exec or victoria or standel or dual showman reverb for all gigs where others "main" instruments are involved. If you don't have a Fender, start there.
big kenny is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Synchromatic

I appreciate the input. I don't have a Fender at present. I did have a Hot Rod Deluxe 40 watt. Man was it loud. At home I couldn't play pass 1 1/2 or 2. It did have full deep tube sound though. I mostly play at home and some in church. My wife and I are starting a Nursing Home Ministry and I didn't want to blow the little people away. ha ha
JLoud is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gretschie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
I have to disagree about being muddy, my pedal steel player runs 2 in stereo, it is anything but muddy. It's loud, full, clear.

Gonna have to claim user error, they do take some knob twisting, to get your sound, but they are still built in the U.S.A.

They are buit 10 times better than modern Made in Mexico Fender amps. Peavey's can take a beating that would send Fender crying for it's mommy.
I'm going to dis-agree with you there. I had a Peavey Delta Blues 115" and it did sound muddy and it did lack tonal range. The reverb was of the worst of any American amp I ever heard with the exception of the earlier American made Blues Jr.

As far as build quality, the Peavey tube sockets are mounted directly to a very flimsy circuit board that utilized chinsy computer type ribbon fly leads and the chassis construction was almost paper thin. Now I don't know much about Mexican made Fender amps with the exception of the Blues Jr. which is definatley pure crap construction, however I don't see how the Peavey is built any better.

I will never again own an amp that has it's tube sockets soldered to a circuit board period!

In fenders defense thier newer amps like the DRRI and the Vibrolux Custom are well built and all of the tube sockets are chassis mounted but these are American made or so they claim.

I guess the old saying (You Get what You Pay For) rings true here
sonnyjimslim is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Country Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjimslim View Post
I will never again own an amp that has it's tube sockets soldered to a circuit board period!

I guess the old saying (You Get what You Pay For) rings true here
I agree. The circuit design on many new amps are great, but they are cheaply built.

My Website
GreatGretsch is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Synchromatic

I have a delta blues 1x15. I really like it, especially with my Gibsons. It has a really great blues sound. If you are here because you love the Gretsch sparkle, then it may not be the amp for you.
WARNING!!! The preceding content reflects the thoughts of a blowhard with no actual expertise!! Such levels of malarkey have been shown by the FDA to be dangerous to children, pregnant women and people who believe what they read on the internet.

Last edited by No-name; November 25th, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
No-name is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Country Gent

I think the Error in the Peavy is simply:

A. Speaker. A nicer/more efficient 15 is going to sound better. Also needs time to be broken in, not to mention 15's aren't really known for their highs.
B. (possibly) tubes. they could be crap.
C. expert knob twiddling necessary.
D. Letter "A" again... but simply because these are mostly for CLEANS!

I Didnt like my hot-rod deluxe, but after getting rid of it I found tons of mods to sweeten it up and feel silly for having gotten rid of it.

Drri's are awesome, but I'm not a fan of their breakup, great cleans. Blues Deluxes are awesome amps all around.

RIGHT NOW. If i wanted Super cleans, and Sonic breakup/distortion... I would get a Fender Supersonic 22, or a 60 if you play in places larger than 3000 Square ft. the 22 Is similar to a DRRI. It basically does Bassman-Vibroluxe (but in my opinion it can get to mesa with a tube swap if you like Super hot/crunchy.) I also recommend putting a V-30 in there, while the Supersonic 60 could use a second V-30 in it. haha.
Lizardkinged is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Gretschie

Far Out! I just wrote a long reply to this thread and then lost the whole thing in the ether. Bummer.

Here's the guts of it: The Peavey is not a Fender. I have a Twin that I love and will never replace. Great sound, and great with pedals. If you want a Fender and that sound like many other players, get a Fender. Save up your pennies.
I bought a Delta Blues 115 because I wanted a smaller wattage amp. I had decided to get a Deluxe Reissue (lighter and less volume dependent than the Twin). I played one. It was great. It was another Fender. An expensive Fender. Then I decided I would like to expand my tonal options. I've never wanted to sound like every other player. (Ironically, when I bought the Twin in the late 80s, Marshalls were de rigeur, and the Twin played clean gave me a point of difference!). The DB has more chime, a different and distinctive clean sound, great low end punch and tightness from the 15" speaker, nice crunch in the drive channel, and a different reverb and tremelo (both of which are best used subtlely, or they can sound silly). I cost about half the price and I've played it every day since I got it with a 5120 with filters, a Strat, and a 335. Loads of good sounds by varying the tonal controls, especially when exploring the volume controls on the guitar as well. There are some mods you can do:
http://www.blueshawk.info/peavey_delta_blues_15.htm

Try one out, but don't expect it to be a Fender. It isn't. Check out Darryl Higham playing his with Imedla May to see what it can do with a Gretsch.

Yeah, you get what you pay for... but you also make what you will.
Old November 25th, 2011, 03:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

I AB'ed the blues deluxe and the delta blues and went for the blues deluxe.
Here is the thread on that:

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/am...tml#post210838

I loved the sparkly yet warm cleans of the BDRI. Excellent sound stageing and lovely spacy reverb.

The Delta Blues disappointed me. The soundstaging (note separation, clarity) was not what I was looking for. It turned all my jazzy chords into a brown warbly mush.

That said though, the delta blues would probably work really well for power-chordsy stuff. The warble that I disliked for jazz might actually add some nice texture and depth to power chords.
Michiel is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Gretschie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiel View Post
I AB'ed the blues deluxe and the delta blues and went for the blues deluxe.
Here is the thread on that:

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/am...tml#post210838

I loved the sparkly yet warm cleans of the BDRI. Excellent sound stageing and lovely spacy reverb.

The Delta Blues disappointed me. The soundstaging (note separation, clarity) was not what I was looking for. It turned all my jazzy chords into a brown warbly mush.

That said though, the delta blues would probably work really well for power-chordsy stuff. The warble that I disliked for jazz might actually add some nice texture and depth to power chords.
"Sandy Chimes and the Brown Warblers" may just make it as my new bands name!
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Fred

ROTFL, nice one sligo!
I like it.
Michiel is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Gretschie

I never warmed up to the sound of the Delta Blues. I play through a Deluxe Reverb RI and couldn't be happier. Very versatile.
bobhoward is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Country Gent

Honestly I just think the 15' in there is junk... Doesn't represent any higher-mid frequencies appropriately, and the bass just distorts out the mids and highs.

This is why in Car-Audio we have "Multiple stages" "Multi-stage setups" For instance. You have the sub for your bass, then you have a midbass woofer so it doesn't distort your your high mids and highs, then you have a normal speaker which doesn't allow anything below 400hz to pass through, and then you get some tweets for everything above that.

Loudspeakers while designed differently still have the same fatal flaws... These are meant to be BIG Boomey amps. I'm sure they are manageable amps.... But I dont even know why I'm advocating for it... Rule of thumb from DAY 1 since I've been playing. Peavy has always just been junk to me... (sure every line has something going for it.) but other than like the Windsor Series heads I could care less about Peavey.
Lizardkinged is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Gretschie

"I'm sure they are manageable amps.... But I dont even know why I'm advocating for it... Rule of thumb from DAY 1 since I've been playing. Peavy has always just been junk to me... "

LOL. Good thing you were advocating for it, and not just totally negative!
Old November 25th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Holy Cow, with all the Peavey bashing I feel compelled to reiterate, I really like mine.
WARNING!!! The preceding content reflects the thoughts of a blowhard with no actual expertise!! Such levels of malarkey have been shown by the FDA to be dangerous to children, pregnant women and people who believe what they read on the internet.
Old November 25th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Gretschie

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-name
Holy Cow, with all the Peavey bashing I feel compelled to reiterate, I really like mine.
Well this is a pro FMIC site, and everything else that isn't FMIC stinks.. Hahahaha
spooky is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Gretschie

If you play through a Peavey Delta Blues, you'll either like it and what it does, or not. You'll trust your ears. Personally, I just love it when people "bag" gear that works for me. Tells me I may be onto something...
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Synchromatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
Well this is a pro FMIC site, and everything else that isn't FMIC stinks.. Hahahaha
Dare I say that my '01 Duo Jet (pre-FMIC) sounds really great through it