Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum
Registered Member Login:
Forgot Password?   Not a member? Register today!

Welcome to the Gretsch Guitar Discussion Forum.

You're going to love it here! We've got Gretsch Guitar forums, photo galleries, classified ads, and more for you here.
You can read posts as a guest but posting and participating here requires that you register. But, don't worry, registering is quick, easy and painless. Why not register today?

Ampage Area Sooner or later you gotta plug into something. Discuss amps and related items here.

Notices

Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gretschie

Default Silvertone ID help

Silvertone nerds, I need help.

I worked on a friend's Silvertone a long while back.

I offered to buy it, but he said he'll just give it to me (he's not a hardcore musician).

I believe it is a 1482 but am not sure.

I don't have photos and until it gets in my hands I have to go off of memory.

1. The biggest standout was the square speaker hole in the baffle, if that helps. Does this actually make it a mid-late '60s 1472 - someone said the 1482's only had a round baffle hole?

2. Also, the control panel was on the right side and it sorta looked like a TV set.

3. Can't remember what tubes it used, but I'm pretty sure it was a pair of 6V6's in the power section and a 6X4 rectifier (because I had an old 6X4 from an old PA amp I was hoping I wouldn't have to donate to it if the rectifier was the issue)... though, I could be wrong on both counts.

I can't wait to get my hands on this thing... 1st step is to play it as-is, 2nd is to recap it and retube it.

Any info would be awesome - especially what kind of speaker they used. I have plenty of Silvertone schematics, so maintenance should be no worry

Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Electromatic

Check out this link

http://www.silvertoneworld.net/amps.html
NJ Joe G is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gretschie

Hey JC don't know if you checked this place already :
http://www.silvertoneworld.net/amps.html
Hopefully this helps.

Ha, you beat me to it Joe !
- Jay
Sponsored posting

Old January 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gretschie

Cool, it does look like it is a 1472. That site is cool, but not extremely detailed/informative.

Man, I can't wait to get my hands on that amp!

The site said they were introduced in '61 and discontinued in '68, but is there any info on the speakers they used? I've heard either Jensens or Oxfords depending on the year. Also, is there a serial # method of dating this thing? I'll check the guts ASAP, and sometimes build dates are handwritten in some amps...

Specific info would be cool

I'm likely going to build a replica cab since those things had flimsy particle board cabs.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

As the owner of two and a half Silvertone amps I wouldn't be too excited to get my hands on a Silvertone Amp.

I got a Silvertone Amp in Case with I turned 15 in 1965 (I'm counting that one as the "half" amp).

I got a Twin-Twelve with Reverb when I joined a band in 1966

I got a 150 watt Solid State with 6-10 in. Jensens in 1968 for my 18th birthday.

None of them was worth a spit in my book.

All I wanted was a Fender Bassman or Bandmaster Reverb... was that too much to ask for? Apparently so. My folks always cheaped out on guitar equipment and I was too stupid to save up to buy my own. Thinking back on it, I was working making $1.25 an hour about 25 hours a week. I guess I should have bought fewer LPs, less Gas (at 21 cents a gallon) and fewer White Castle burgers and I probably could have done it.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gretschie

I'm excited because I played it after I fixed his and remember that tone. They called these 1472's "the poor man's tweed Deluxe" for a reason.

The Amp-in-Case amp's have always sucked.

I'm surprised you don't like the Twin Twelve. That SS amp is an acquired taste, one I never acquired either

I've built BF Fenders, Marshalls, and tweed Fenders... when I heard the 1472, I heard a thicker, darker, looser, raunchier 5E3 tweed Deluxe - this thing was a nasty '50s style garage-blues machine, which perhaps made it a little out of step for the '60s amps it was sold next too (big clean Fenders). I need a nasty garage rock beast for my home studio and this fits the bill.

My Fenders and Marshalls won't be out of work, and this will be competing with my 5E3 tweed Deluxe for mic time, but when I heard the 1472, I heard something that could actually sit in my amp room without any shame
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Electromatic

Johnny, Check out this link.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...&ct=image&cd=1
I rebuilt the cab for my 1432 which I absolutly love as a harp rig. It had a blown jensen in it that I have replaced with a JBL 123 that I picked up somewhere. You are going to like the Silvertone.
Schematic..http://acruhl.freeshell.org/mga/sche...mps/s-1472.jpg
Jaybird is offline Offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gretschie

Hmm, no board, just straight PTP.

I'm definitely replacing the electrolytic caps.

If the resistors have strayed really far off I may replace them all with metal oxide, except for the plate resistors.

I'd love to build a replica cab, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the covering material.

The speaker is my only concern. I've Googled this amp to death and have read a lot of folks have blown speakers - or non-original which may mean a previously blown speaker.

A 40+ year old speaker may sound sweet but that dried out old paper may mean for a fragile cone. I may go with a Jensen RI...

This would be my only real vintage amp, so I want to keep it as original as posible in tone and cosmetic vibe.
Old January 4th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Johnny, why not get the original speaker reconed?

I'm not sure if it's my age or not, but that dark muddy amp sound is just not for me. I gotta have a sparkling Fender or even a top booted Vox. Anything that is a perfect "harp" amp is an amp I'm gonna pass on.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gretschie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretsch-Talk View Post
Johnny, why not get the original speaker reconed?

I'm not sure if it's my age or not, but that dark muddy amp sound is just not for me. I gotta have a sparkling Fender or even a top booted Vox. Anything that is a perfect "harp" amp is an amp I'm gonna pass on.

I might get it reconed. I'm not sure if the power handling of the stock speaker was meant for cranking though. If it's a Jensen or Oxford maybe some gurus here could help me ID the speaker.

From what I heard when I played my buddies, I thought it sounded great, but who knows maybe I won't like it anymore once I get it.

I've been playing my 5F1 (without bypass caps) and 5E3 and both are pretty "dark", so maybe that's my kinda thing... I'm still hoping it sounds like I remember though.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Gretschie

Actually, I may even add a 100pF bright cap to one channel if it's too dark.
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Synchromatic

I had a nice 1484 twin twelve that must have been a gem. It souned awesome for the price, obviously it wasn't the BEST amp out there, but it was like a poor man's bassman. I liked it, but ran mine through a set of VOX speakers.
http://www.thewenzels.com/wongs_tvjones.gif
wenzel is offline Offline   Reply With Quote